New Crimson EP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Music lovers,
    Before I leave for the weekend to enjoy some good Jewish cookin' during these holidays, I shall revel here in the fantabulous news:
    King Crimson's new EP, Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With is scheduled for release on Oct 8th. It is even listed at CDNOW.com for pre-order.
    Track list:
    Track List:
    1. Bude
    2. Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With
    3. Mie Gakure
    4. She Shudders
    5. Eyes Wide Open
    6. Sho Ga Nai
    7. I Ran
    8. Somedays Blue
    9. Lark's Tongues In Aspic (Part IV)
    10. Clouds
    11. Einstein's Relatives
    Interesting that they have Lark's Tongues IV listed, as that is a tune from ConstrucKtion of Light. A live version? Re-worked somehow? Curious.
    My understanding is that they are following the model of the albums from the Double Trio days: release an EP with some new stuff, then come out with a full-blown proper album, like VROOM and THRAK. However, VROOM and THRAK are both worth owning, and so will these two.
    I cannot wait to get this, crank up the stereo, and annoy the hell out of my neighbors.
    In other Crimson news, they are proceeding to release a live document of the underrated '71 lineup called Ladies of the Road. Though this is considered the "worst" Crimson lineup, that's like saying that some chick is the ugliest Playboy centerfold of the year.
    It's a great time to be a Crimson fan. [​IMG]

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

4. Michael St. Clair

And a DVD of the '3 of a Perfect Pair' and 'Frejus' concerts (hopefully with original PCM stereo mix included).

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. Michael St. Clair

The 3oaPP LD has fantastic audio. Did you know it was the first laserdisc ever released with PCM?

7. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I don't know if it is out elsewhere, but I saw the Earthbound and USA CD releases at a record show here in Stockholm a few weeks ago. Didn't pick them up, but I was glad to see them finally on CD.

8. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

the earthbound cd is as bad as it ever was the usa cd is quite good imho

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

10. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

thrak's coming out october 8th

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks, Kevin.

I guess until then I'll just have to be happy with I have to be happy with (Earthbound & USA)

12. Michael St. Clair

I couldn't find the new Earthbound or USA anywhere this weekend! (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc). I didn't have time to drive a half hour each way to a good independent record shop.
    Has anybody watched the Earthworks DVD that came out this year?
    http://www.alteredstate.co.uk/earthworks/
    Somehow I missed the release of this. Apparently it is available R0, NTSC.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Michael,
    I only use Best Buy for extra-mainstream stuff. I never expect to see anything really tasty there.

I found them both at Tower.

I own the Earthworks DVD. If you've heard the double live album, you pretty much know what to expect. The surround sound is very cool and it includes a little interview stuff.

NP: USA

I'd never heard this album before, so this is a real treat. The Asbury Park improv is killer and Larks' Tongue with Cross going nuts on the violin was something else. I haven't even gotten to Fracture and Starless yet, my two favorite tunes from this period!

14. Michael St. Clair

Mike,
    I used to live 'in the city' and bought everything in independent shops.
    My current 'old suburb' area is just awful for music purchasing.
    I have actally bought most of my Crim purchases at Best Buy the last few years; reissues, Cirkus, Heavy Construkction, etc.
    The thing is they seem to stock them all, one or two copies, then never restock.
    I should probably do a DGM order anyway.
    I've never heard USA and I can't wait. I have The Great Deceiver, The Night Watch, and the Beat Club release with Jamie Muir, so I think I know what to expect. Pure goodness. [​IMG]

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah, the special day is here. Just gave this baby a spin. The track breakdown:
    1. Bude
    Very short unaccompanied processed vocal. This motif is repeated throughout the album with different lyrics.
    2. Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With
    The first major piece on the album, this is basically Level Five (heard live recently and on the EP of the same name) but shorter, tighter, and with words. The excitement level of this tune and my own anticipation just made me crack a big smile on my face. This is Crimson rocking hard.
    3. Mie Gakure
    A short soundscape (Fripp's guitar / looping ambient thing)
    4. She Shudders
    Vocal motif like Bude
    5. Eyes Wide Open
    A surprising acoustic ballad-like thing. Wonderful melody over some of that dual-guitar stuff.
    6. Shogonai
    Short percussion track. Either it's Pat dubbing himself or it's a duet with Belew (my guess).
    7. I Ran
    Another short vocal thing
    8. Potato Pie
    The third major work of the album. It's kind of a blues, industrial thing.
    9. Larks' Tongue In Aspic IV
    The same piece from ConstruKtion of Light but with the vocals at the end replaced with Belew playing that melody on guitar. It has been heard like this in concert for a while now and has appeared on live albums. This particular version is nice 'n nasty.
    10. Clouds
    Vocal motif again, then silence, then a collage of stuff from the making of the album with little bits of playing and dialogue.
    Overall, a nice bookmark on where Crimson is these days. There isn't much here to surprise those of us who've been obsessively following them, but I think those who have not may find something interesting hear.
    Now, the wait begins for the full-length album Power To Believe in 2003. [​IMG]

17. CarlP

CarlP Agent

The title track and Eyes wide open are incredible! I have played them many times today (over and over.) I was disappointed with TCOL (other than the title track), this EP makes me excited for the new album.

Anyone have an "audiophile" review of the new THRAK remaster?

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Carl, have you heard the song Level Five? I recommend it as a companion piece to the title track of the new EP.

19. Michael St. Clair