What's new

New Cover Art - The West Wing: Season One (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Classy. I would have liked to see the floating heads dissolved above the image of the White House instead of a straight split screen.

John Simon

Second Unit
While the spine is nice, I think the cover ranks up there as one of the worse I've ever seen. It looks like someone took 5 different graphics and pasted them on.

:thumbsdown:

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Don't care about alphabetical order here - day of release buy and it's going right next to my treasured SportsNight box...

all Sorkin, all the time.... I'm shaking in anticipation now....

:D

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Some red and white to go with that blue would have been nice... why not just replicate some of the background from the opening titles?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Seems a bit odd to me that WB (or any company) would go to the added time, bother, and expense of creating completely different cover designs for a Region 1 vs. a Region 2 (or other) DVD release. Why not use the same one worldwide?

Is this common, completely different cover art based on regions? Never have noticed.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Common, believe it or not. Great examples: Friends, Buffy, TNG, Dark Angel.

Of course, there are exceptions to that rule. Futurama comes to mind...even though the boxes are shaped a bit differently (more square from a top-down view on the R2, IIRC), the art is the same.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Common, believe it or not. Great examples: Friends, Buffy, TNG, Dark Angel.
Really? Well I'll be dipped. :)

Thanks, David.

(BTW, David L. ... Tonight I attempted (unsuccessfully) to add a couple of new shows to the TVshowsonDVD database. It said it couldn't accept the IMDB URLs I provided. All I did was copy-&-paste 'em, like required. Is something amiss with the URL-acceptance method?)
:confused:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Well from what I've seen of the show, it's not so much about America as it is "moral" ideology.
Have you seen their opening titles? Flag city. Even the R2 set is more 'patriotically' colored than ours. Even though the show *is* about ideology, it's definitely an American ideology.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm not worried about what the cover says. I think it's a great design, personally, and have said so already in other places.

As far as conveying what the show is saying, the episodes speak for themselves.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'll point Gord to this [URL code problem]...he's the code guy! Thanks for mentioning it, though.
S'alright. :)

I felt a need to add "The Loretta Young Show" to your database over @ "TV Shows...". If you've never seen Loretta's anthology series of the '50s, I'd recommend it. Some very good dramas. The VHS copies are super-crappola, though. It's yet another fine TV program pleading for Digital treatment.

Very sorry .... I've swayed from the W.Wing topic. :frowning: :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to agree with my namesake (David L.) re. the cover design. Looks dang nice to this writer. I like the Presidential Seal image faintly seen in the background of the cover. Looks very classy, IMO. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

FYI (for those penurious souls who might care to save a couple of clams) .... Just today, DeepDiscount made some people happy by lowering its
West Wing S.1 Price, matching Amazon's current price point. A fine hunk o' value, considering we're getting 22 forty-one-minute programs, plus a healthy dose of supplementals. :) :emoji_thumbsup: :)

(They performed the very same price-chop on ER - Season One. Glad I waited. :D)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I love the box art, and I love Sorkin shows. I hope this gets bumped up from November 25th to a sooner date. I don't know if I can wait that long for this (even though I'm currently watching season 1 on Bravo daily).

Warner's box sets are quickly becoming my favorites (ER, Friends, The West Wing). What big show should we expect from them next?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
And the region 4 covers are different again...

(Note that, for the r4 releases, each season is released in two parts: Epsidoes 1-11 and 12-22. Both sets for each season has the same cover art.)

Season One

Season Two

Personally, I've been meaning to get the r4 for a while, but now I'm getting the r1. It's (much) cheaper and there are features. I hate double-sided discs, but I'll put up with them.

And the numbers inside the circles on the r2 releases are the BBFC classification/rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks