What's new

New Cover Art: BLACK SUNDAY! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if John Frankenheimer recorded a commentary before he died. Looks like we are getting the original art more or less.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
HUZZAH! I just donated my old chapter-free WS LD to Loyola Marymoun University. Hopefully Martin Blythe can fill us in about what's on this. I read a fascinating oral history of Frankenheimer by Charles Champlin and he has all sorts of stories about this and working with Robert Evans.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly happy that Paramount did not get cold feet on this film because of the terrorist theme. And I hope that there is no editing for content because of some lines spoken by the Captain Michael J. Lander character. I really love to listen to John Frankenheimer commentaries, so I'm truly hoping that he recorded one for this film. Perhaps Mr Blythe can enlighten us on this point. I'll be buying this as soon as I can get my hands on it!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed

Yeah, original artwork, more or less. :emoji_thumbsup:

I saw this on Film Four in 2.35:1 two years ago and it's a pretty good film. A bit overlong, perhaps, but as ever, Dern's performance is worth the price of admission alone. Shaw is rock-solid also.

I'm glad to see that in these terrorist-paranoia times, this film still managed to get its DVD release. As stated by Jeff, I hope that Frankenheimer recorded a commentary before he passed away.

Now, if only Warner (?) could release The Driver and I'd be in Bruce Dern Heaven! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks, Mr Lambert! Quality scouting as ever! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
At last, my #1 desired Paramount title gets a DVD release.

- Steve

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Any of you wise collectors in Paramount's inner circle have specs for Black Sunday yet? I'd also be most interested in Dragonslayer's feature's, too. Black Sunday's price being only $5.99 at DDD doesn't look promising by way of special stuff, but if the disc has just the film, seeing it in widescreen will be worth it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Paramount is repricing a lot of these under $10 msrp'd titles closer to $19.95.
expect to see it for about $15 street- same with Dragonslayer.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. If I preorder from DDD at $5.99 now, will they honor that or will I suddenly find my bill at $14.99?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No promises, but generally they've honored these low prices in the past on preorders. I got my order in for this and also Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Captain Kronos, both of which were boosted to $19.99 but which DDD is still selling for $5.99 or thereabout.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Black Sunday streets October 14.

Features:
Widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions; Dolby Digital English 5.1, Restored English Mono and French Mono; sub-titled in English and closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired.

Sorry... no commentary or other extras. Still, nice to see this catalog title coming soon.

Dragonslayer is similarly minimalist in terms of extras..., but I don't find it surprising. The genre draws a fervent core following, but fantasy is a tough sell... well... up until LOTR anyway.

Expect discounted street prices around $15 for each.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks bunches. Ordered and . . . ordered. Also decided to pick up JF's The Train and Birdman of Alcatraz as they were long overdue in my collection (and each $9.36). I can now tape over my TCM vids and look forward to listening to JF's commentary on The Train. It also has an isolated music score. Not bad for an MGM cheapie.

Too bad about Black Sunday special features, but seeing widescreen footage of the grand finale on Frankenheimer's episode of "The Directors" series has had me in a whirlwind of excitement for weeks now, so it matters not.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
If I preorder from DDD at $5.99 now, will they honor that or will I suddenly find my bill at $14.99?
They'll definitely honor the current $5.98 price tag, based on THIS AD on their site. Obviously, they realize the huge savings (70%!) off the $19.95 MSRP they're giving here.

For this price, who can resist?! :D

Someone above said the movie's OAR is 2.35. Can another member confirm this? (Thanx.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks