New 'Coupling' this weekend on BBCA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Michael St. Clair

The series 2 cliffhanger repeats 5 times this weekend. The first episode of series 3 premieres Sunday night at 10PM EST.

2. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Woo Hoo! What I've seen of this show so far has been fabaroo. I just watched the S2 cliffhanger tonight, so I'm all charged up for Sunday night and then the Tuesday release of S1 on DVD. (Which, btw, they were heavily promoting during the commercials... Best Buy was featured in one of them)

The one episode that really hooked me for good on this show was the one with the Jewish woman and her breasts that Jeff was hitting on.

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Just wanted to revive this thread...
    Between the Series I DVD and the off episodes I've seen on BBCA this is rapidly becoming one of my favorite shows. [​IMG]
    "The Woman With Two Breasts" and now last night's "Remember This" are my two favorite episodes. Both are examples of some really (IMO) inventive storytelling. Funny as hell, too.
    Don't get caught in The Sock Gap...

4. Huzefa

Huzefa Stunt Coordinator

Really an amazing show. I just wish they made more of it. I bought the R2 dvd set from amazon.uk and acquired season3 from 'unnamed sources'. Truly brilliant.

5. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

I love Coupling! That show has a terrific ensemble cast and writer Steven Moffat has got relationship nuances down cold.

I've heard rumblings of an American version of Coupling, but I just don't think it would work. Any other opinions?

Bill S.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I dunno. I picked up the "Coupling" DVD at Best Buy last weekend based on my love of British comedy and the raves from members here. I've watched the first two episodes, but I'm just not into it for some reason. Hopefully after a couple more episodes, I'll warm to it more.

In news about the US version, I heard that Breckin Meyer has been cut from the cast, the original writers have been canned, and they're re-shooting the pilot. Phoef Sutton (Cheers) has been brought in to write.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Give it a few ep's to really get into Coupling. Especially if you are approaching it in a Britcom kind of way. I think Coupling consciously departs from many standard British Comedy forms and is more contemporary and more American feeling in content.

Luckily, it is far more witty than American fare, and after awhile the goofy characters really rub off on you.

One of the best aspects of Coupling is it's incredible insight into relationships, not just couple relationships but also friend relationships as well.

Bill S.

10. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I haven’t seen series 2 yet! Arrgghhh! I might have to resort to certain unspeakable means, or just wait for the seasons to be released on DVD.

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    love this show. oddly, my wife doesn't, dismissing it as a Brit-version of Friends, which IMHO misses the point.
    the first episode of season 3 just aired here. just in case you lot haven't seen it yet, I thought the end bit was just about the funniest, and most risque, thing I've seen on broadcast TV! Susan "doing something" to Steve under the sheets, his ex Jane calls, causing Susan to grind her teeth, and the next scene he's sitting there mournfully and in pain with her consoling him, explaining that Jane's voice makes her teeth grind, doesn't it make his, and him replying from now on it will... [​IMG]