What's new

New Construction (1 Viewer)

GregSal

Auditioning
Hello!

Well I hope some of you may be able to point me in the right direction here.

I am building a HT in my basement. Looking to put in a 7.1 system with 1 or 2 subs. room is 12x25

I was looking for the following:

1) Best cables to run?
2) What is a good "In-Wall" 7.1 system?
3) Do I need power management?
4) Good 7.1 a/v reciever?
5) Good screen? fixed, also mid-level projector?
6) Anything else I should look for?

Been searching E-bay...Any feedback woul dbe greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Greg

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Look at the "things I wish I'd done different" thread. Some real lifesavers in there. Spend a lot of time looking at other peoples mistakes before you make them yours...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Greg. Welcome to HTF!

Best Cables

This topic can be controversial so let me give you the list of wires I would use, then others would be free to offer counter-choices.

Speaker Wires:

You need 12 ga wires for long runs. Wires dont make as much difference in a HT system as they might for a audiophile music system, so the Carol brand of in-wall wires from places like www.partsexpress.com work very well.

Make sure the wires you put in the wall have "Plenum" outer jackets or are CL2 or CL3 rated for in-wall use. (Some places require this for fire-codes).

Video Cables

You need to plan this based on your video sources. The best bang-for-the-buck video cables are from the custom websites like www.bluejeanscables.com

A good remote like the Harmony 688 or higher is a good thing to have.

You might want to plan out all your sources. You might need a component-video switch box for about $225 which is a lot cheeper than spending $2,000+ on a reciever just to get an extra input for video.

Hope this helps.

Brian: - you failed to put links in to your website where you show us your home theater. We all love to see what others have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks