What's new

New construction speaker cables (1 Viewer)

Tom Smith

Auditioning
I have a new house and it is prewired for speakers....there are twelve (12) speaker cables sticking out of the wall four (4) yellow and eight (8) blue.....none are labeled as to which room or position in the room....the yellows give me a 50/50 chance.....how can I determine which cable belongs to which speaker position in the house aside from trying to pull on the cable to see which one moves which is not practical in this case (the runs are too long)......HELP

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Just go ahead and hook up the speakers (or even temporary speakers) in each of the rooms. Just randomly pick a wire and hook it up to a receiver, play some music, and find the speaker that's playing the music. Then label that wire.

Tom Smith

Auditioning
Bill,

Thanx I always miss the obvious. Of course the speakers have to be hooked up anyway and finding the wires is simple. Thanks

Tom

Rob Peloski

Agent
...or you could twist the + and - wires together at the speaker end (do one speaker location at a time) and use an ohm meter (or even a battery and an LED) to check the wires at the receiver/amp end for continuity (if there is continuity you found the wire that goes to where you twisted).

Of course, if you use banana clips or something else that makes plugging speakers into your amp/receiver easy this would probably take a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks