New construction speaker cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Smith, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Auditioning

I have a new house and it is prewired for speakers....there are twelve (12) speaker cables sticking out of the wall four (4) yellow and eight (8) blue.....none are labeled as to which room or position in the room....the yellows give me a 50/50 chance.....how can I determine which cable belongs to which speaker position in the house aside from trying to pull on the cable to see which one moves which is not practical in this case (the runs are too long)......HELP

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Just go ahead and hook up the speakers (or even temporary speakers) in each of the rooms. Just randomly pick a wire and hook it up to a receiver, play some music, and find the speaker that's playing the music. Then label that wire.

3. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Auditioning

Bill,

Thanx I always miss the obvious. Of course the speakers have to be hooked up anyway and finding the wires is simple. Thanks

Tom

4. Rob Peloski

Rob Peloski Agent

...or you could twist the + and - wires together at the speaker end (do one speaker location at a time) and use an ohm meter (or even a battery and an LED) to check the wires at the receiver/amp end for continuity (if there is continuity you found the wire that goes to where you twisted).

Of course, if you use banana clips or something else that makes plugging speakers into your amp/receiver easy this would probably take a bit longer.