new construction in basement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by kurtdvet, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kurtdvet

kurtdvet Auditioning

I have a new home with a room all ready studded out for an HT. It is unusuallly shaped with a bayed out area 7 feet deep and 11' wide at the front of it , there is appox 9 feet of width and heigth to put a stage + screen in. the cement floor is stepped with 3 levels each 7.5" higher than the next. The room is not square but it's approx dimensions are 17 feet wide and 19' from where the screen will be to the back of the room. I'm sure this has confused everyone by now but basically I need to know a few things before starting the walls and stage. What is the best insulation to use. What is the best wall covering to use and what is the best ceiling type to use. (drop with acoutic tiles of some type or drywall etc), If this is too much to ask what is the best resource to get this info from . Thanks ,, Kurt

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What's your goal? Do you want to soundproof the room so that sound doesn't leak out at all? Or do you not care about that and only want good sound in the room?

Regarding the ceiling -- both types have their advantages. If you can find a drop ceiling you like I would go that route for ease of pulling cables later. You can always run some conduit behind the drywall, but it's really not all that easy to pull cables through if you go through any turns.

I would definitely budget for some wall treatments to tame the acoustics of the room. There was a thread recently where a guy built DVD storage into the wall with an acoustical panel covering it. It looked great and is something I would definitely consider if I was at the point you are in construction.