New consoles bring newbies...time for a FAQ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

The release of Xbox and Gamecube have populated the forum with a ton of "newbie" questions. I certainly don't mean to imply that is a bad thing but I wonder if a FAQ would be helpful? It would be nice to help out and keep the forum moving for more advanced gamers. That balance can be tough to achieve.

The forum seems flooded with multiple threads covering the same tired topics. Do you think a FAQ type thread would help? Sort of a central location where basic info can be found?

Probably not...I guess people don't really read that sort of thing, huh?

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Unfortunately there is a world of difference between "frequently asked questions" and "frequently read answers". [​IMG]
    Good idea though. Perhaps a faq for each console, or a generalized faq for certain topics?
    -Dave

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yes, i totally agree.. I've been seeing numerous newbies post the same questions over and over and over again... [​IMG]

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I have to agree with this. The past few weeks in the forum have been different than in the past. Count me in.

-Andre F

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

You shall have my videogame knowledge for your FAQ!

I kinda feel bad for n00bs, but then again we were all there at one time, except me I was born with a 2600 controller in hand!

6. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

[​IMG] That must have been prety hard on your mom, Kelly ...
    Being a gamer from way back, and seeing the flood of repeat questions, I vote for it, but I have a question: Who'd write it? It would have to be unbiased, which is something that's been a problem as of late around here. And are we talking just the new kidz on the block (PS2, GC, XB), or them and the recently deceased (PS1, DC, N64) ...
    Freddy C.

7. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Seeing as how I started gaming with Pong, I guess it makes me an old timer. (even though I'm only 34?!!?) [​IMG]
    Anyhoo...I've skipped over all the newbie posts. I'm curious; what the hell kind of questions could newbies ask about something as simple as a game console????
    I mean, this isn't like trying to config a pc to make your game run.
    Plug it into the wall, plug it into a tv, plug in the controller, insert game. There ya go!
    What would a FAQ be needed for?

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Gets my blessing. It'd seem a good place to expose popular myths about specific consoles... How do you want to go about doing the FAQ, Camp?

Dan (UK)

9. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I think you can restrain the FAQ to the newest systems, as these are attracting the most newbies and thus, questions.

Potential topics:

Extra features for PS2, GCN, Xbox (e.g., DVD capability, CD/mp3 playback, etc.) and what you'll need to use this functionality (e.g., Xbox remote)

Supported video outputs and necessary add-ons or hardware (e.g., Advanced/Hi def a/v pack, progressive scan TV, widescreen format, etc).

Supported Audio outputs and necessary add-ons or hardware (e.g., advanced/ hi def a/v pack, Home theater setup capable of decoding DTS, DPL II, DD5.1, etc.)

Frequently encountered problems with each system (i.e., PS2 DVD capability, Xbox "problem" DVDs, Xbox overheating problems, PS2 vertical vs. horizontal, etc.)

If it's kept technical and no comments are made about the quality of any system/game, impartiality shouldn't be a problem.

What else is there to add?

10. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Good topics; I'd add something about image burn-in on RPTVs. I know I've answered that myself three or four times in the last few weeks.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hmmm, it may be hard to by kept technical-only. I've seen a lot of "How does PS2 play DVDs compared to Xbox?" threads. We all know the answer, but it would be hard to convey it in a FAQ without any bias.
    Some other questions:
    - What are some good quality/best bang-per-buck cables for my system?
    - What's the word with online play?
    - Was the 5.1 output "problem" on the Xbox due to hardware or software?
    - Where can I get help on a certain game?
    - What is a fanboy and how can they be stopped?
    Also, I think there should be a listing or at least a link to Michael St. Clair's excellent thread regarding video output types and their ratios. Maybe even add an extra column on sound output modes if someone's ambitious. [​IMG]

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

13. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Camp, that is an excellent idea - & I also offer to help out with whatever would be needed.

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I really like Anthony_J's topics. Most of the Newbie questions tend to revolve around aspect ratios, HD support, and 5.1 sound. After all, this is a Home Theater forum at heart.

Length is always an issue with FAQs. I read them until I realize they're Moby Dick sized (pun intended).

I'd certainly be willing to contribute but I simply don't have the time to author the thing. I think I still owe Kelley_B a Halo review (sorry man, busy times). :b

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Ok then, everyone should continue to offer up additions to an FAQ thread here and once done we can go about creating the thread, make it a sticky or whatever. How's that?

Dan (UK)