What's new

new computer, OS recovery disc? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, I'm currently in the process of trying to reformat my old PC and installing Windows XP in it for when it gets sold or donated. The problem is that I do not have a copy of XP or Windows 98 on me to put in there when I'm done reformatting. Or so I thought....

I noticed that my new PC has a OS recovery disc which has XP on it. The disc says that it is only to be used with my new computer but I got to thinking that it could possibly be used to put XP on my old PC when I'm done reformatting it. Am I right in assuming this? is it possible to do this?

I'm very sorry if this breaks HTF rules but I don't think it does. Thanks!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It DOES break the forum rule, as bundled OS can ONLY be installed on the hardware it comes with (beleive me, I've checked MS license agreement on this). Discussion of installing a bundled OS on another machine, even if it's identical, would fall into the "piracy" category.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
oops, I hope they don't revoke my membership it was an honest mistake:b . Could someone please PM me on this? thanks!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Keith, MS (probably others too) is getting extremely sticky with this stuff. A few weeks ago, I put up a set of laptop recovery CDs for sale at EBay, I brought them over at EBay a couple years ago, for an older laptop, and things like that used to be all over EBay. In the auction, I put in BIG BOLD bullets that said one MUST have this laptop model, WITH license (COA on the bottom of machine), as the recovery CDs does NOT come with a CD Key and does not work on any other laptop (all true). I said this is for people that have lost their recovery CD or brought a used machine with OS license but no media.
In less than 24 hours, I recieved a form email from EBay indicating that my listing was pulled and all fees refunded because they (EBay) was informed that my listing violates "copyright/intellectual property law", and if this removal is in error, please contact MS directly on this address...
There's no doubt that MS is having BOTs patrolling auction sites, and probably popular forums too.

Users who are viewing this thread