What's new

new computer, low speaker volume (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I just got a Dell 8400 and I'm having trouble getting enough volume from the speakers. I did not get new speakers; I'm using the ones from my old HP computer. I've opened the volume controls and have everything maxed but I'm only getting about 20% of what I think the volume should be. Anyone have any ideas?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i know this is a stupid question, but are you sure your speakers are connected to the correct output on your new pc? maybe you have it on a variable output, or some other funky jack?

i can't imagine an 80% loss in sound quality, just by going to a different computer. weird...

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
The speaker jack is plugged in to the line out. Is it possible that these speakers are not compatible with Dell? Or am I just missing something on setup.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
How bought this as more obvious:

Almost all (in fact, basically all) new computers require -powered- speakers, because they only output line out, non-amplified signal.. so they can't drive a speaker on their own.

If your speakers are non-powered, the results you are getting are normal.

Michael Whitney

Stunt Coordinator
Could also be a volume setting on the program you are using. I know Winamp or some other programs, its more difficult to find where the program volume adjusting area is.

Most likely the powered speaker answer will solve your problem.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Bought some cheap powered speakers, problem solved, thanks for all replies. One more question..
I have some GR Research AV-1s I'm not using and would like to use them for my computer with a small sub I'll build later. Can someone walk me through what all I'll need to do? I have an integrated sound card (5.1) on my computer now.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm assuming the gr speakers are not self-amplified. so you'll need to hook them up to a receiver (or at least an outboard amp of some sort).

1. run the line-out from your sound-card to the amp
2. plug the speakers into the amp

since you're going to be using a sub, you'll want to make sure your receiver has a sub-out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks