New Computer Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I just finished building my new rig...
    XP2000
    GeForce4 Ti4200 (with VIVO)
    256 DDR PC2100 Ram
    Audigy Platinum
    Zalman Cooling
    Modded Case
    Aopen Ak77-8xn MoBo

Found two problems....One being huge. I have random and numerous audio dropouts when playing back DVDs in power DVD, only when using SPDIF out. In stereo it is fine. I am using Windows XP pro, can it be a driver issue? It only happens in SPDIF. I downloaded the updated drivers from Creative and nothing. Also I would have to say it is a combination of dropout and lagging, jumping around, almost sometimes looks dubbed. Second, I am wondering if I can get a program that just lets me run the S-Video in full screen live. I have an XBOX I would like to hook into my monitor and the only video program I have does it in a sample video (video editing software). Thanks for all the help guys.
    -Svence

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

3. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

That's the motherboard with on-board audio right? I'm sure youve done this but is the on-board audio disabled in your bios?

4. Chris Svencer

Yup....onboard Audio is off. I found one interesting thing. The audio is fine if I minimize the video, no more jumping or skipping around. Got the new drivers for the video card and nothing. But it definetly goes away when I put the video minimized...Any suggestions?
    -Svence

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Check to see if they're using the same IRQ. I have reason to believe that IRQ sharing between my sound card and video card is responsible for a problem that I'm having with my video capture PC.

6. Chris Svencer

I can't change the IRQ's in XP...the setup manually checkbox is gray. Their definetly are conflicts with some PCI stuff and USB hubs with the Audigy and Video...So it could be either but I can't change them. Is there a setting I am missing or something? Thanks.
    -Svence

Actually in the area where you can change the irq's there is no conflict showing...but in the system properties they come up.

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Just out of curiosity, is everything in your computer new?

8. Chris Svencer

Everything is except for the dvd player/cd-rw combo which is only a year old...but other then that....all brand new.
    -svence

9. Chris Svencer

Well...well...well...If I thought those were big problems. In my attempt to see if the problem was coming from XP I decided to start over with Win 98 for a sec and see what happens. Well now I am missing 20gigs of my hard drive. I had the 40gig drive partitioned into two tenties and all was fine. To install 98 I had to Fdisk the drives blank. Here is where the problem is, I can't erase the partitions. I want to get rid of the extended dos partition and start fresh but it says that I can't delete it when there are still logical drives. So I try to delete the logical drives and it says there are none. Then I tried to create a logical drive, and it said there was no room it was all taken up by the other logical drive. What the hell is going on. I have never had this much trouble building computers, god damn to types of partitions for NT and 98. Please help...I am beginning to panic and thinking I lost the 20 gigs forever.
    Thanks Alot.
    -Svence

10. socrates maroudis

socrates maroudis Auditioning

Don't worry about the hard drive. Almost every hard drive manufacturer makes a utility that will do a low level format on a drive and remove partitions and everything. All you have to do is go to the hard drive manufacturers web page, download the utility and copy it to a floppy. Reboot with the floppy disk in the drive and follow the instructions. Should be just like it was from the factory.

Concerning the sound card problems, you probably are not doing anything wrong it is just the soundblaster. Over the past few years I have read about soooo many weird problems with computers that ultimately were fixed by replacing a Sounblaster Live! or Audigy with another sound card. Some of the problems weren't even directly related to sound. I think you should look into getting a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and see if that helps your problem. The hardware is good and the drivers are awesome. I have heard pretty good things about the Soundblaster Audigy 2, but it has not been out for that long. Also, Win2k and XP put everything on the same IRQ, i think it is 11 or 12 or something like that. Since you have a Ti 4200 you might want to check out Nvidia's new DVD player NVDVD. I have it and I like it much better than Power DVD 3.0.

If you can show some pics of the modded case that would be cool.

spm