"New" computer, games not working. Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_F, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    I have recently acquired my father-in-laws old system, a Dell XPS B733r. Quick specs: 733 Pentium3, 384MB RDRAM, 32MB Geforce graphics, SBLive! sound card. He kept the old HD to put into his new system and it was replaced by a new Western Digital 80GB HD. Windows98SE was then reinstalled. New HD and reinstall were performed by a small computer shop who were building the new computer.

I cannot get any games to run on the machine. After the game spools up, the screen goes white and the machine locks up, forcing a reboot. I have tried 3 different games (NBA Live 2001, a Thomas the Tank Engine game for the kiddies, and Age of Mythology.) I don't have any problems running office or financial software, only games.

Here is what I've tried: updating all Win98 files per recommendations from Microsoft Windows Update, uninstalling and reinstalling all the games, latest versions of DirectX, etc... I have the latest drivers for the video, sound, mouse.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Nathan

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3-D chips gone bad?

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Jeff I think is pointing in the right directions it could be the video card having problems. I would try to find another 3-D program that you can download and run or better yet some Bench Mark software that runs a lot of 2-D & 3-D. If you have another video card lying around I would try that.

KyleS

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    I will try that tonight when I get home. I'm not sure if that's the problem or not (OpenGL screensavers work for example). I also have another video card I can swap in to see if problems exist there too.

Thanks!