New CNN Headline News

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Certainly Not Noteworthy. [​IMG]
    ------------------

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What's the story on this, Peter? I haven't tuned into CNN Headline News in ages.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Peter Kline

Jack,
    They've redesigned the broadcast to appeal to younger demos. The screen now is broken into 4 quadrants. On the top right is the talking head . The top left shows simple one or two line sentences usually about what the talking head is talking about. On the bottom right is a revolving US map showing weather temps, patterns, etc. for the U.S in different regions. On the bottom left quad are stock market indexes plus current stock prices. It looks something like the Bloomberg broadcasts. They were promoting the beautiful new set and you never see it as the talking heads are from the shoulders up. Add to this new electronic hip hop music and shorter stories and you get news for people who don't like news in my opinion. Oh yes, Andrea Thompson made her debut last night. She doesn't like to smile.
    ------------------

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The anchor chick that was on this weekend was hot. That's all I have to say. [​IMG]
    /Mike

5. Peter Kline

MickeS,
    That was before the format changeover.
    If you like the anchor because she's hot, then the new CNN is for you! [​IMG]
    The dumbing down continues. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Peter Kline on August 07, 2001 at 12:16 PM]

6. Peter Kline

Reviews are starting to come in on the new format. It's not a pretty picture. USA Today calls it "headache inducing". Give it a week before changes are made. CNN bigwigs did say that they expected a lot of negative comments on the new format. Their predicition is coming true.
    ------------------

7. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
  8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Basically they are ripping off Bloomberg's news format.
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

9. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

While getting my teeth cleaned today I was watching this. Its hard to pay attention with all those moving things on the screen. I like the idea of the summary but I would rather have a sports ticker and stock ticker combined.

10. Dave L

Dave L Stunt Coordinator

I miss Lynn Russell -- I always liked to see what hairdo she would show up with. But I guess I don't fit the demographics CNN is looking for anymore, so I'll just stop watching.

11. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
  12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Venturing off topic slightly, I sure hope the backlash against this outrageous new format extends so far as to bring greater attention to the debate over those ever-growing-in-size station bugs that are making television such a challenge to watch (as if the programming weren't bad enough already). I have visions of the "main programming window" being compressed into a fraction of the available screen real estate while all the rest is taken up with ongoing promos and advertising and even larger station bugs.
    This whole mess has gotta stop.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

13. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Oh dear oh dear. You know you are in trouble when USA Today is whining about superficial "news" broadcasts. What's next, FOX attacking their integrity?
    I miss Lynne Russel too.
    ------------------
    -- Will Work for Five Million Dollars
    [Edited last by CharlesD on August 08, 2001 at 10:21 AM]

14. Peter Kline

Oh Jack, the whole format looks like it was patterned after a typical PC desktop with that small window for movies most people see. Bloomberg has been doing this for years every morning with their market casts. As I stated I think there will be some modification along the way. Andrea Thompson still looks like a frightened deer in auto headlights.
    We want Lynne, we want Lynne!
    P.S. I don't need to defend USA Today. They're doing OK. But they have changed considerably from what they were in the beginning. They now are a respected journal and have won awards for their in-depth reporting on major subjects.
    ------------------

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

16. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

Much too busy and I watch Bloomberg. [​IMG]
    Why do people feel the need to change things that do not need to be changed [​IMG]
    ------------------

17. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The CTV news channel here in Canada has had a very simial format for awhile, and it's terrible.
    Even worse, they are doing it on their sports channel! If you thought the puck in hockey was hard to follow before...
    I don't care what the weather is when I'm getting sports scores and highlights.
    ------------------

18. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I watched it this morning, and didn't think it was that much different from before. The bottom part was much bigger (almost hald the screen), but otherwise it was pretty much the same, I thought. I can only watch this channel for 15 minutes or so anyway, it has always given me a headache. [​IMG] Plus it has far too much commercials.
    /Mike

20. Peter Kline

Micke,
    The format is much, much different. The previous one had a ticker along the bottom constantly giving stock market and news items during the day and sports/news during the night. There was no weather map on the bottom right, there was no "billboard" constantly showing what the talking had was saying on the left. The amount of space for the anchor has been reduced to 1/4 of the screen, except when there are two of them talking. This is clutter to the max. Dumb, dumb, dumb. It's for the intellectually impaired I'm afraid.
    ------------------