New Classical Super Audio Announced for November

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    IIRC the "Herbey and the Berlin boys" set is the 1964 version. This should be great.

I'm also waiting for the Janos Starker set of the Bach. IMHO this is better than the Casals set (OK so shoot me for blastphemy).

Who the heck is "Kaplan"?

3. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Gilbert Kaplan is an extremely rich American publisher. About 20 years ago for fun he hired an orchestra and choir so he could conduct Mahler's 2nd Symphony. Since then he's turned a career into performing the work (and only that work) with orchestras all over the world. He has no formal training in music, but over has taken numerous private one-on-one sessions with conductors. So basically he's an amateur who uses his wealth to conduct his favorite piece of music.

This is the second time he's recorded the 2nd Symphony. This recording isn't all that bad, but I'm sure its success is mostly owed the VPO who should be able to perform this work in their sleep.

I fairly certain that Kaplan paid for this recording to be made, and I'm sure he made a large donation to the VPO in order to conduct them.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Seth, thanks for the background information. Your knowledge on classical is valuable.

All of these Mercurys are superb. I am planning to buy all, but it's going to be an expensive Fall.