What's new

New Classic TV Online Magazine (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The old print magazine “Television Chronicles” has been resurrected in a new online format. The June issue has some articles and interviews on the following shows:

The Blue Light
Branded
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
The Untouchables
Lost in Space

Here’s the link: http://www.televisionchronicles.com/

The magazine has a TV-on-DVD section geared towards classic and vintage material.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Bob,

Thank you for this link. I missed your original post on this because I was away for two weeks--got this one bookmarked on my favorite sites now!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
You're most welcome, Michael. It's really a great site, but I haven't figured out how to go back and look at the June issue, which had a good article on "The Blue Light." These guys do a fair amount of research for their articles and the articles are well written. Bill Groves is very good about getting back to people if you have questions or comments.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Yes, I hope he responds to your idea of profiling some of the classic British series you listed. When I get a moment I think I'll list some suggestions as well. By the way, do you have any of the actual "Television Chronicles" issues listed on the site? I've been trying to track these down this morning without success.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Michael, sad to say I wasn't even aware of "Television Chronicles" until after it had ceased publication and found out about the new online site at a Yahoo Group (TV Westerns). There is a link to Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee store in California and, apparently, they have back issues, but I couldn't find them on the site. I suppose you could send them an E-mail and ask about pricing. Link:

http://www.ebsmvideo.com/

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I remembered to check this site out again around Aug. 4 but forgot to post a message about the new edition. Really enjoyed the "Yancy Derringer" article and interview--it was practically like a mini-book about the series.

I need to contact them about having the past issues available as a link, as I never had the chance to view the June issue. And of course, no luck whatsoever in obtaining the hard copy issues of TV Chronicles...

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, my eyes really hurt after looking at the site - there is no structure to the design.

And HTML? Its 2006! People will be wanting RSS feeds to keep up to date.

Looking around all I find is various affiliate links.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Yes, the site could use some snappier web design, although the main articles on the featured shows are easy to access. This month's edition is not my cup of tea but with so many vintage shows to mine I know that some obscure favorites will pop up in the future. Just wish I could have access to the June issue (the only one I missed).

Can anyone comment on the two books for "The Fugitive" they reviewed?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I can't specifically remember, but if you go to the section titled "Views from the Couch" and leave the question on the Guest Book, chances are good that the owner of the site, Bill Grove, will reply. Ed Robertson, who edits the site, wrote the book "The Fugitive Recaptured" and that very well may have been one of the books cited. More information on the book is available at Ed's site:

http://www.edrobertson.com/fugitive.htm

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The good news is that the October issue of "Television Chronicles" is now available with articles on the following series:

Bearcats!
Colonel March of Scotland Yard
The New Adventures of Charlie Chan

The bad news is that the site is struggling a bit; see publisher Bill Groves' message here and how you can help:

http://www.televisionchronicles.com/SigningOn.html

Jeff#

Screenwriter
There was a wonderful (and very low-budget) TV magazine back in the early to mid 1980s, its name and publisher of which I don't remember. But I was a subscriber to it 20 years ago. A woman and her husband in Massachusetts published it.

That particular mag was very much like the Television Chronicles website, with lengthy articles on a variety of series. They did wonderful write-ups of such shows as The Fugitive (featuring interviews with Barry Morse and Jacqueline Scott), The FBI (Efrem Zimablist, Jr. was interviewed), Here's Lucy (shortly before Lucille Ball starred in Life with Lucy, although she was unavailable to discuss the article), and many more. Accompanying those features were brief episode guide summaries. It often took multiple issues of the booklet-sized 40 page monthly magazine to cover each series. Multi-part stories of long-running series spanned 3 or 4 issues, with the episode guides also continuing in each issue.

Another feature included tributes to celebrities who recently died, which in 1985 and 86 included Desi Arnaz, Roger C. Carmel, Ted Knight, and Dean Paul Martin. Current TV news and previews were just blurbs, because the focus was on decades past. The magazine was available only through mail order, and eventually they went out of business. Does anyone else remember this publication?

Tom.W

Second Unit
Jeff, it was The TV Collector. Probably the most thorough, well researched, unique publication on tv I've ever seen. There were many great, lengthy interviews with stars covering their work in one or more series. Imagine reading an interview with Robert Lansing in which he discusses both 12 O'Clock High and 87th Precinct. These may have been two separate features, but both were covered in depth. Lansing's other somewhat obscure spy show The Man Who Never Was also received feature treatment. I don't know how the publishers gained access to so many stars, but they built up their reputation through fine work.

I hope Television Chronicles works out it problems. They have done a nice job filling the gap.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yes, it was indeed the TV Collector! And I recall the 12 O' Clock High issues. Although Robert Lansing was the original Colonel -- the leader of the squadron, when he decided to leave the series by the premiere episode of the 2nd season, when his plane was shot down. Paul Burke (who had guest starred in two first season stories, one of which had him at odds with Lansing's character) joined the show as a regular, becoming the new squadron leader.

It was Deja View in a way, because a few years earlier Burke and Horace McMahon replaced the 2 old cop / young cop duos in Naked City. No explanation was given for James Franciscus leaving (one year before Adam Flint showed up) but John McIntire's character Lt. Dan Muldoon was killed when his car ran into a gasoline truck during a high speed chase in an April 1959 episode, after which McMahon joined the show.

McIntire always seemed most at home appearing in western TV series and features, including The Virginian for a few years. Months after Dan Blocker died, Lansing guest starred on BONANZA in 1972.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks