New Classic Disney Live Action Anounced

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Over at Ultimate disney.com, they have anno9unced sevral really interesting live Disney classics - titles that, frankly, I though I would ever see on DVD. Can['t wait to get them all
    Those Calloways
    Bon Voyage
    Follow Me Boys
    Miracle of the White Stallions.
    Now Disney, where the hell is Darby O'Gill and the LIttle People, summer Magic, In search of the castways, Third Man on the Mountain, Johnny Tremain, Toby Tyler, etc.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Some of these haven't been on video since the 80s. I may them up if they do right by them. (OAR)

And God I hope the other ones they mentioned are being remastered and not repackaged.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Haven't heard of most of these. Should make for some educational review-time.

dave [​IMG]

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Darby O'Gill is supposedly coming next year as well, but I don't know if it will get Special Edition treatment or just the presumably basic releases these will get. Its popularity would seem to merit something beyond a vanilla disc.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

For Darby O'Gill, they should kidnap Sean Connery and force him to do a commentary. Or just trick him somehow.

6. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I do HOPE THEY ARE WIDESCREEN !!!!!!!!
    I WILL GET THEM ALSO !!!!!!!!
    Will they be widescreen ??

7. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

8. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I will definitely pick-up Follow me Boys! if done correctly.
    Todd

9. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'm one of those who's dying to see Darby O'Gill on DVD. Our old VHS copy is getting a bit worn.

10. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Hopefully Disney will do a proper job on these live action releases. Unfortunately, given their track record, I'm not optimistic. Disney frequently does a stellar job on their animated films, but their track record on live action films leaves a lot to be desired: colorization of B&W films, "fullscreen" only releases, etc. Let's hope Disney gets these right.

Steve K.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

They *can* do live-action right:

Witch Mountain movies, Apple Dumpling Gang, Luv Bug...

I think they may have learned a few lessons from all the flack they received when they crapped on the Muppet Treasure Island/Christmas Carol films. If anyone is worried about these films, you can always call Disney at their toll-free consumer hot-line # and tell them that you want these films OAR and properly transfered. Those calls get taken seriously. Take any Disney DVD off your shelf and look at the back cover to get the Phone#.

-dave

12. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

You're absolutely right, David, Disney CAN do live action films right, as evidenced by the films you mention. You're also correct that they may have started to learn their lesson, and that our comments can and do make a difference. I'll certainly give them a call when I get home this evening to make my wishes known. I think a lot of what Disney is doing now is directly a result of consumer comments and forums like this one. Disney CAN do a great job, so let's hope they do (and call the hotline to encourage them to do so).

By the way, Dave, I very much enjoy reading your HTF reviews of Disney films. They're always both informative and entertaining. Keep up the good work!

Steve K.

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey Steve,

and naturally you're right that especially with low-profile titles there could be cause for concern...I just wanted to point out that Disney has in fact done a fine job with *some* live-action titles so at least we have a precedence in both directions. Let's hope they take the high-road...and comments from you and other consumers help that to happen.

Looking forward to reviewing them when they arrive!!

dave [​IMG]

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    But where is Flight of the Navigator. I have been waiting on that one forever. It was rumored to have been on the schedule for 2002, but it didn't happen. Here's hoping for a spring 2004 release, in widescreen of course.

I would also pick up Darby O'gill as well, if in widescreen. I'm also intersted in getting Those Calloways.

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Hopefully Midnight Madness will be in OAR this time around. The Anchor Bay disc was full screen, and spotty.

16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Disney is quite capable of doing great live action DVDs. "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" was one of my most anticipated titles this summer, and it did not disappoint.

I do find it funny that every other studio in the world releases DVDs, but that Disney releases "DISNEY DVD". Why do they really feel that much of a need to do that?

17. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Of the four new titles mentioned, THOSE CALLOWAYS runs rings around the rest. Long and deliberately-paced, but with fine performances, gorgeous scenery and a musical score by Max Steiner (!!!), this is one of the better Disney films of its era. I truly pray they letterbox it.

18. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

Follow Me, Boys! Awesome! I love this film. Yes, it's corny as all get out, but Fred MacMurray is wonderful, and so is Vera Miles. Plus, it is Kurt Russell's first movie. I can't help enjoying this nostalgic -wish this was the way life was- film.

I am definitely purchasing this one.

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Has anyone heard specs for these titles yet?

20. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill