What's new

New Cirrus Triple-Xover a good thing? (1 Viewer)

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I don't agree with that at all. That implies that using a mixture of Large and Small speaker settings on any system will result in mismatched soundstaging.
Tonal similarity of speakers implies that they produce the same frequency response within the limits of their rolloff limits. This is enough to ensure a cohesive soundstage if the system is properly calibrated. Otherwise, you are implying that you can sense the bass being diverted to the subwoofer which means any bass redirection is senseless.
How many people actually boost the bass in their systems? Or else if they want the LFE boosted, that can be set independantly of the redirected bass.

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Craig,

You make an excellent point, that if properly integrated and setup, a system that diverts bass at different cross-over points to the sub should not cause a soundstage degradation. However, there are tonal differences in the bass between subwoofers and speakers, a lot of people comment on a certain "quality" of the bass being apparent with some speakers vs. others, some subs vs. others etc. And in real rooms, there are peaks and nulls associated with certain frequency ranges (especially if main speakers produce bass down below 60-80hz). Hence, crossing over at different frequencies sends different parts of the bass spectrum to the sub, and so introduces the *possibility* that the soundstage can be adversely effected. I also believe that a lot of people in this forum do tend to run their subwoofers slightly louder than reference level, which can cause disproportionate bass with certain re-directed frequencies. Having all this re-directed bass be magnified out of proprtion is lesser of an evil than some portions of some channels being magnified more, etc.

Cheers,

Mal

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I would be curious to see what effect multiple x-over points would have with respect to room nulls/nodes/my notch filtering/peaks/etc......The reason I like playing with RTA's/BFD's/notch filters/ etc. manually is because of the # of wierd room problems one can encounter...I wonder if it would get easier or harder with the added flexability....

I would have to think that it couldn't hurt because you COULD leave them the same if you wanted to, but if you had the means to tame the problems, then why not?....My feeling is just that we may be getting into territory too complex for all but a few!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks