New Christopher Guest mockumentary in the works

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Steve...O, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    This already sounds like a winner......

New film starts in October called "For Your Consideration" in which the troupe lampoons Hollywood. Per Eugene Levy,

Added bonus...Ricky Gervais from The Office has a bit part in this.

2. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Sounds interesting.

I do enjoy his films. While Guest can often be criticised for a sort-of sameness in terms of the structure of his films, who really cares. They really are just wonderful character pieces, and I love them. Looking forward to this one, which again sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Sounds like a nice companion piece for THE BIG PICTURE.

4. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    That's good to hear since not long ago Guest said he was done with the form (and he dislikes the term "mockumentary" as it is).

Anyway, really good news.

[​IMG]

5. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I liked Wind the best with Show and Guffman next in order. They're all brilliant though and I suspect one's order of preference will depend on where their interests lie.

[​IMG] One of the all time funniest lines in any movie I've heard.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Look forward to this one. [​IMG]

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Can't wait!

btw...

A 1999 TV movie/special/pilot "D.O.A." is mentioned in the article. Anyone seen/heard of it?

Apparently, nobody on imdb has seen it... I don't even think it aired.

Yet Zap2it writes:

"Levy will play agent Morley Orfkin who runs talent agency DOA, the Dorkman Orfkin Agency, representing one of the actors in the independent movie. Sound familiar? Levy was the Orfkin to Guest's Dorkman in the 1999 TV movie "D.O.A.""

LOL. No it doesn't... It never fails to amaze me how something as simple as a quick google or imdb search is beyond some writers. (FYI, it was a pilot for HBO that didn't get picked up)

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm in! [​IMG]

10. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

I can't wait for this one, I love all three of the others (Waiting For Guffman is the funniest, A Mighty Wind is the best, if you ask me). As for the one performance getting the word "Oscar" thrown around about it, maybe it's a reflection of the buzz around Levy himself for "Wind" (for which both he and Catherine O'Hara were robbed). Very exciting news, regardless

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I recall some Oscar buzz for Fred Willard for Best in Show. He won a few awards for that, IIRC.

12. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

A Mighty Wind was nominated for best orignal song, which Levy and O'Hara peformed at the Academy Awards that year. Christopher Guest was in attendance. I remember a lot of shots of him that night, in which in he looked very hopeful. That experience possibly gave him some material or inspiration for this new project.

I'm still not sure why "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" was nominated rather than the movie's theme song. "A Mighty Wind" would have had a better change of winning.

13. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Interesting question; I wonder if Guest submitted both or just the one for consideration. I personally liked Rainbow better, but that's just me. Actually my favorite song from the movie was "When You're Next to Me" which was another Levy/O'Hara collaberation. Very nice song and I was shocked to hear Levy have such a romantic singing voice. Who'da thunk it?

Steve

14. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

"When You're Next To Me" is my favorite song from the movie, too (and not just because I'm a sucker for an Autoharp solo[​IMG] ), but "Kiss At The End of the Rainbow" was the most integral to the story of the movie, and the performance of it at "Ode to Irving" is the emotional climax of the movie, if you ask me. It was a part of the movie more than any of the other songs, and wasn't just some song tacked onto the end credits, like most songs submitted for Oscars.