New Christmas Movies on DVD??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Peterson, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Where are all of the new Christmas movies on DVD this year? The only ones that I have heard of are "The Grinch - Live Action" and a new computer animated version of "Rudolph - The Red Nosed Reindeer".
    I was hoping for new versions of "Christmas Vacation" and "A Christmas Story" with OAR and any other SE features. I was also hoping for more classic Rankin/Bass claymation episodes.
    Have I missed something or the studios missing a pretty big market here.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Huh?
    Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (w/Little Drummer Boy) and the Ron Epstein-review Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol are already out.
    Hitting today are:
    • Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street
      Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In at the House of Mouse
      Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
      The Muppet's Family Christmas
      Santa Who?
    As you pointed out, Grinch is coming on 11/20th, and the new (sucky-looking) Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys is in stores now.
    Also, there have been markdowns this past year on Scrooged, Home Alone, & A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott 1984).
    That's an even dozen by my count, if you include the markdown items. I'm sure I forgot a few.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

As much as I (and Im sure many other people) would love to see an anamorphic re-release of both Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story, it is very unlikely at this point that Warner would do that. They stated at their last HTF chat that they had no plans on releasing widescreen version of 1.85:1 comedies or family films.
    Although the picture quality of Christmas Vacation is okay in open matte, A Christmas Story looks terrible, and is in serious need of a re-release, and hopefully they'd do it in anamorphic widescreen.
    Maybe if the HT community gets on Warners tail about it now, we could possibly have one for next Christmas!!!