New Chow Yun Fat DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ian_H, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I see that Columbia is releasing John Woo's Once A Thief as well as Ringo Lam's Full Contact. Any idea if these are uncut? Columbia has a much better track record with releasing Hong Kong films then let's say...Miramax.

-Ian

2. BooneG

BooneG Stunt Coordinator

i am pretty sure that "Once a Thief" is uncut because it is under Sony's "Destination Films" label. As for "Full Contact": It better be uncut.

3. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Ohh...Im gettin those...

4. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

I'd be very surprised if Full Contact survives intact. Here's hoping I'm wrong...

5. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

According to DVDplanet's listing it has the same runtime as the Tai Seng import of the Mei Ah DVD at 99 minutes. The actual Mei Ah DVD states that it is 98 minutes. According to my player, from the start of the Golden Princess logo through the end credits the Mei Ah disc runs 98min 24secs.

-Ian

6. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

I've been holding back on buying the HK disc of Full Contact, hoping that the Columbia one is better (could happen). As far as uncut, actually the HK version had some cuts itself before it was released. It would be great to have a restored uncut version, but knowing how well the HK film industry preserves its films, I'm sure the cut footage is long gone. [​IMG]

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Just picked up Once A Thief today. A big round of applause to Columbia/Tri-Star and Destination Films for releasing this title correctly. UNCUT/ORIGINAL SOUND/SUBTITLES and anamorphic to boot!! THANK YOU COLUMBIA!!

--Ian

8. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Anyone ever compare how the Columbia disc compares to the old Mei Ah DVDs? Same cut? Dubtitles??

--Ian

9. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

I'd much rather buy the IVL/Fortune Star release of Once A Thief over the Columbia version anyday.
    I'm going to eventually purchase the Remastered Mei-Ah release of Full Contact also over the Columbia version.
    They're quite inexpensive at www.play-asia.com but I'm not buying both yet since I'm working on my 1980's portion of my collection as these are 1990's films.

10. Ray Ruggaurs

Ray Ruggaurs Agent

cool i'll have to keep an eye out for those dvds!

11. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Once a thief was previously released by CTR.

12. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    The Mei Ah reissue of FULL CONTACT only contains the HORRIBLE 5.1 remix, complete with flanging echoes and awful new sound effects. Caveat emptor. The Columbia release of FULL CONTACT contains an alternate soundtrack, with different music in some spots, including extra songs by the band whose "Get The Funk Out" is heard in the standard version. Unfortunately, the wailing guitar is missing. This appears to be a legitimate alternate soundtrack originating from the time of release, but who knows why it exists...

I'd recommend the original release of FULL CONTACT by Mei Ah if you can find it, even though the visual quality isn't that great, because it contains the original mono soundtrack as a listening option. It's the one I'm sticking with. Next I'd recommend the Columbia release.

13. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

14. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

AND here's the cover and contents for IVL/Fortune Star's Digitally Remastered Edition of Once A Thief

The front cover:
    [​IMG]

The contents:
    [​IMG]

AND here's the cover for the Mei-Ah Remastered Edition for Full Contact:
    [​IMG]