new chili peppers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam E. Torres, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

has anyone heard the new chili peppers songs? the first self titled single from "by the way" sounds all right with the exception of the minor electronic screaming crap that is heard right before kiedis starts doing his usual "rapping" fiasco. their official website allows you to download a new song from the album every day. "midnight" sounded pretty good, but the one they have today, i am sort of mixed about-it sounds too ska-ish to me...the inclusion of flea's melodica piano gets really old really quickly. i don't know, i have a feeling i will be disapointed by this album, seeing as how i love blood sugar sex magik and californication so much. let me know what you guys think.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Is this the song where he's talking about: standing in line outside the show, I saw the light? I heard a tune on the radio yesterday, and it made me chuckle out loud.
    Really, the band sounds like a shell of themselves- to be honest they sound like a Chili's coverband. They seem to be trying to emulate their 91-92 era material, and it simply sounds bad. The rapping Anthony does has always been poor, but at their height it was a novelty... but with everyone doing bad rap, it simply sounds funny.
    I really think this band should move on. IMHO they peaked with Blood Sugar Sex Magik-- but at least their more recent stuff was "different"-- this tune I heard was downright silly.
    -V

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

oh dear, I didn't even recognize the song today, it sounds so ska-ish [​IMG]
    not that there's anything wrong with a good ska band, just RHCP trying to be it... [​IMG]
    I didn't really care for their last album either (can't even remember the title..)

4. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Actually the Chili Peppers were initially a funk/ska band before realizing--with 1991's Bloodsugarsexmagic--that they'd have mainstream success by reverting to watered down love ballads. Their best album is still Uplift Mofo Party Plan. I'm not even sure if I'll listen to this new one.

Mark

5. Sam E. Torres

the song they have on the website today is pretty decent-"the zepher song"...a hell of a lot better than that "on mercury" crap.

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I am anxiously awaiting the new Chili Peppers CD.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I was a longtime Chilli peppers fan- as I discovered the band's second album Freaky Styley when I was 13 (the record was real popular among the skater kids I hung out with growing up)...

While I wouldn't call the Chilli's a SKA band (even by the late 1980s Madness standards, and especially in terms of the more modern definition)-- but they were basically a funky rock band-- funky in sort of a white boy translation of P-funk sort of way.

Certainly, Blood Sugar Sex Magik was a departure from their previous albums- but to be honest- each new record seemed to be a weird jump from the last (I have always attributed this to the fact that they switched producers on almost every record). When they hit Warner Brothers in 1991 and had Rick Rubin produce their album- things certainly changed - in a more pop direction, but I think calling it "watered down love ballads" is a bit of a stretch.

The pop hit "under the bridge" was on the record- but the only other borderline ballad was "breaking the girl"- which in almost any terms can be considered a well written song.

The album otherwise was, IMHO, a perfect blend of the pop side they would go on to exploit and the funk side which had gotten them to that point. A nice balace of the old and new- making for their best record, IMHO.

-Vince

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

9. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

10. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

And that's why I like you Vince, You kick ass!!!! I look forward to any and all Chilli Peppers stuff. believe it or not, my mom first got me into them with Blood Sugar, and then I went exploring. I do like their older stuff very much but I feel that Blood Sugar and Californication are their best so far. And anyway, what band puts out 6 of the exact same albums? It would get boring, even though we all would like any band to sound like our favorite album, all the time! I like all music, and I do mean ALL music. From Dead Can Dance to Hoku to Morbid Angel!!
    And my point is.....Chilli Peppers will always rule!!!!!!!
    Mike(Milemarker fan number 2)
    Oh, and Matt, "could of lied" IS the best song on Blood Sugar!![​IMG]

11. Sam E. Torres

i've heard all of the songs they have played on the website so far, i love them all except the on mercury song, which is not as bad as i initially said, but still sucks regardless. does anyone have a songlist for this album?

12. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I heard it and its really not to bad...... my favorite Chili peppers album still has to be mothers milk, although Bloodsugarsexmagic was very good also

13. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Best album of theirs by far! Very smooth and musical.

14. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

I've also got to say that I like it a lot. I've been looking forward to a new Chili Peppers album for some time now, and this doesn't disappoint. [​IMG]

15. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

I everybody.
    I'm a big fan of the Chili peppers and I just picked up their new CD By The Way a couple of days ago. The album is a lot 'mellower' than their previous. IMO it is not as good as Bloob Sugar Sex Magik or Californication. It does have quite a few good songs on it though. My biggest beef is with all the techno effects they put in it. All in all, its a decent cd and worth the 16 dollars I paid for it.

16. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I love the RHCP. But I've gotta say this album was a disappointment. It's just too mellow. It's missing the fun of the earlier albums.

Also, is it just me or is the sound on this cd absolutely terrible? I could hear lots of crackling and distortion. Poor production?

17. Tony Bucaci

Tony Bucaci Agent

it's o.k.

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I loved BSSM and don't mind the departure from their punk sound. That said, there's something about taking on a more "pop" sound and doing it well, and doing it badly. I've not liked much since BSSM (the album w/ Navarro had some good tracks but overall was not as good, IMO) so I think I'll be skipping this one unless I hear some ultra-compelling reasons to buy it (ala radio or by borrowing it from a friend).
    Even if it could be considered "pop", I thought BSSM was a well made album. And try getting Sir Psycho Sexy on Top 40. [​IMG]

19. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Ok, the songs start out great ....until the voice or some string work start and then I also get crackles and/or interference. I was about to take it back, and exchange it but I just might GIVE IT AWAY NOW, GIVE IT AWAY NOW[​IMG]