new channel sept 21, THE WHO

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by TonyD, Sep 15, 2006.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    "The Who Channel will debut on SIRIUS on Thursday, September 21. The limited-run channel will feature five decades of music by The Who, including rare tracks and live cuts, and SIRIUS-exclusive interviews with band members. Also featured will be nightly broadcasts of concerts on the band's current tour of the US and Canada , featuring commentary and backstage reports hosted by musician Rachel Fuller.

SIRIUS will also broadcast selected shows from The Who's massive archives, including some never before-heard shows and backstage conversations with the band, some with the late Keith Moon and John Entwistle. "
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

more here

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1158082407462

2. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    i guess no one else cares.

i do.
    but have benn dissapointed with the songs selections.

not enough variety.

they aare playing all the usual stuff, such as everything from who's next and who are you,alot.

some older stuff has been mixed in but not much.

i still havemt heard anything from daltrey or entwhistle yet.

just not enough of the stuff that hasnt been played to death already on radio.

3. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I listened to a lot of this channel this weekend. I agree that there has not been a lot of variety. I didn't hear many "album cuts" other than Who's Next and Who Are You. There were a few songs that I didn't recognize that I assume were new, including a Pete song that I didn't recognize. I didn't hear much live stuff at all, except for one or two "Live at Leeds" tracks. I'd like to hear a DJ on this channel. I'd also like to see a schedule like Radio Margaritaville has.

4. Jon Bell

I just reread the press release. I wonder how much Pete and Roger actually "produce" on this channel. It might explain why it is weighted so heavily to very early stuff and later stuff, and not much "middle" stuff, if that makes any sense.

5. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    i would love a dj on this.

there should be a guy telling us what album this is fromwhat concert, etc.

even more so there should be a good am't of "album sides" or entire albums.

still too many of the "hits" not enough deep tracks.

i'll continue to listen, as i love the who

favorite band they are of mine

6. Jon Bell

I agree about the album sides. I had tapes of most of their pre-Tommy albums, and I haven't listened to them in years. I've only picked up a handful of their albums on cd, so it would be a blast to hear whole sides of The Who Sell Out, The Who Sings My Generation, etc.

Pete must have so much unreleased stuff that he did on his own-- it would be great to hear him do a storyteller-type show that went through the Tommy demos or the Quad demos. I have these from "unofficial" sources, but I'd really love to hear him dissect them in detail (of course, he's on tour now, so that would be difficult).

Is there a schedule for replays of the new live shows? The commercials indicate that they are going to replay hem, but don't say when.

7. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

I for one do not care for these type of channels. I have seen The Who in concert 3 times, heard a majority of their songs thousands of times so its just wasted bandwidth IMO.

8. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    then a better idea then posting that here would be to send a letter to sirius.

i like these channels and hope they do others in the future.

and btw how is it wasted bandwidth.
    they didnt add a channel they used a channel that was already there.
    [​IMG]

9. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

Its wasted bandwidth (imo) because its a waste of channel... not sure what you dont understand.

And by the way the Sirius forum is for not discussion, God forbid I disagree with something or dont like a channel or two, get over it. You have your opinions and I have mine, its place for us to voice those.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I just found this channel a few nights ago and it is KING!!!!!! I access Sirius through my Dish Network service and to my ears the sound quality is quite good. I absolutely love The Who and this channel has been fantastic.

I've been recording the concerts to my computer the last few nights, they have been really great. Same thing you can get at www.themusic.com for the most part, entire concerts from the '04 and '06 tours. Geez, last night I was listening to the Salt Lake City concert from just the night before. How cool is that? Tonight's concert is being broadcast tomorrow night. They play live and I hear a soundboard recording of the concert the next night, warts and all.

- Sounds like Roger picked up the wrong key harmonica at The Isle Of Wight, UK (recorded 06/12/2004) - he joked about it after the song! How funny! -

Anyway, they just finished a blistering live version of "Bargain" from '04, it kicked ass. They have some nice interesting selections on some of these concerts, "The Punk and the Godfather" and a medley of Pinball Wizard/Amazing Journey/Sparks/See Me, Feel Me - Listening To You that rocked like nuts!

Love it. And the tracks include lots of wierd old stuff. Yesterday before the Salt Lake City show, they played some songs that sounded like early-to-mid-70s Bootleg material (I have the Swansea boot LP) "The Seeker" live. How cool.

I love this station! I wish there was better listings of the programs than they have on the Sirius channel.

11. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    the WHO channel has moved to 98.

10 is now the bridge again and the STONES are off

12. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

I like the station too. I like the idea of a DJ with a short bit about the songs.
    I wish they played more older live concerts, not just the new ones.

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    looks like the who channel is gone.

14. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It's on channel 29 until April 1st, then it becomes a Punk Rock channel.