New CD Mega Changer Owner, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Breeden, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden Agent

I have just acquired my first Mega CD changer (Sony CDP-M333ES) Before I start loading in discs, I was wondering if anybody has any helpful hints on how to organize/plan. I want to get started but I do not want to get half way through and realize there was a better way at doing it.
    Also, has anybody used Nirvis-Slink-e software/Hardware? If you have is it worth $250.00?
    Thanks in advance for your help in this matter
    Mike

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers (last year's model) daisy-chained and do not use any software for managing CDs, but all CDs are loaded alphabetically. I bought the megachangers about six weeks apart. When the first one arrived, I immediately filled it with 300 CDs in alphabetical order. In the process of doing so, I passed over many of my favorite CDs due to space limitations. When I got the second megachanger, I started filling it from 'A'. I actually only have about 180 CDs in the second unit, but I could fill it eventually. Anyway, since CDs are arranged alphabetically, it is very easy to find a particular CD (all disc titles are stored). Furthermore, I am familiar enough with the order by now, that if I am looking for a CD beginning with 'M', for example, I always know which megachanger it is loaded in. Works for me.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well if you're willing to pay that much for the S-link I'd buy a pronto instead. I have every CD title available to me in my pronto at the touch of a button so i don't need to remember which slot holly cole is in. Its to the point now that if I sold my pronto (never) I'd have to get rid of the mega changer. I can email you a copy of my current CCF if you want to see what its like or there's a slightly older version on my web site that uses some older software to manage the database. With the new software (supernudelist) its VERY easy to setup and maintain yor CD's and it allows very flexible sorting of titles etc. I wrote up a "how to" for using the software http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=thread&CFB=1&TID=20499&DoOnePage=Yes&RequestTimeout=500

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Good question
    I have 2 sony 200's and a DVD/CD 300.
    The cd changers divides everything into blocks of 25....so I tend to put artists together into blocks and if I am a few short, leave them empty for later purchases.
    I basically arranged so one changer is all bands that started in the 60s and one 80s. In the DVD changer, I have about 150 DVDs and keep classical, jazz, country and blues.
    Since I get in a mood for a type of music and have it go for hours, I like the genre divsions and not alphabetical
    Grant

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm with Grant on this one. Put them into blocks of 25 or 50. If the groups have died cram them together, but leave spaces for groups that are still putting them out.
    Glenn

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

thats the nice thing about using a pronto to organize the changers in that you don't have to worry about where titles are located just hit random on a group and there's the jukebox mode on that group or select a single CD from the alphabetical sorting panels
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I entered 600 CDs into my two Sony jukeboxes without regard to artist name or genre, mainly because I knew the order would eventually get messed up with additions/deletions, etc. I then typed in all of the artists and album titles into Microsoft Excel (which took several hours) and sorted them alphabetically by artist. I keep a copy of the spreadsheet on my coffee table, so when I want to listen to a particular CD I can easily find its number.

9. Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden Agent

Thanks for everyone that replied.
    Andrew:
    I do own a Pronto. How do you enter in the CD title and text? Is it manual or does it pull the infomation from the changer. If it is manual does it push the information to the changer? The reason I was looking at a tool like Nirvis was that it would auto-learn what is in my changer and then pass that information back to the changer. Call me lazy but the thought of typing in 386 CD's is daunting. I was looking for the easy way out.
    Mike

10. Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden Agent

Thanks for everyone that replied.
    Andrew:
    I do own a Pronto. How do you enter in the CD title and text? Is it manual or does it pull the information from the changer. If it is manual does it push the information to the changer? The reason I was looking at a tool like Nirvis was that it would auto-learn what is in my changer and then pass that information back to the changer. Call me lazy but the thought of typing in 386 CD's is daunting. I was looking for the easy way out.
    Mike