New CD, DVD-A, SACD stats in "Variety"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Fisher, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Aug 4, 2004
    Was just reading an article from, thought I'd post some info. It was longer, but most of the other info was quotes from the RIAA blaming online piracy for slumping sales.

"The number of CDs shipped domestically from record companies to retail distribution channels rose 5.3% last year, the first increase in four years, according to the Recording Industry Assn. of America.

But compared to year-end numbers five years ago, the number of overall units shipped to retail in 2004 was down 21%.

In 2004, 814.1 million units were shipped, compared to 798.4 million a year earlier.

The DVD musicvideo format continued to grow significantly, up 66% in shipments but with a 51.8% increase in value (list price). The DVD music format represents approximately 5% of the overall recorded music market in list-price dollars.

The CD single plummeted 62% and the high-end audio CD formats suffered dips as well. DVD Audio dropped 20.6% in 2004, while SACD lost 39.6% last year."

Good news that people are buying more CDs, and a huge ouch for the DVD-A and SACD statistics.
  2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dec 6, 1998
    Indeed it is. Given the fact that Sony, the developers of SACD, haven't released any new SACDs in a while, those statistics don't surprise me. I still think there is a market for SACD & DVD-A, even if it is a small one.
  3. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Feb 7, 2003
    Maybe if the record companies started releasing titles people care about on DVD-Audio and SACD people would buy them. I know I personally have 1 Foo record, 1 Beck record and 1 Zeppelin record. I know those artists have released more then one record each.