What's new

New Carol Burnett Show DVD On The Way (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There are 22 new to DVD episodes in the "Best Of The Carol Burnett Show" 33 episodes on 11 DVD set (if I have counted right). Four of those episodes are from the recent :Best Of Tim Conway" release (still edited it would appear as well), so that leaves 18 new to DVD releases. I have already ordered the set to get those "new" to dvd 18 episodes. In the Deluxe Edition which has a total of 60 episodes on 21 DVD's, the additional 27 episodes have all been previously released onto DVD by Time Life. If you go to their web-site there is a complete listing of all episodes included in each set.

Thank you. I didn't have time to check them all when I posted the link. It's nice to have the 18 new ones, but it does seem like such a waste to have 42 repeated episodes when there are so many left unreleased. If they stuck to unreleased shows, then we could have the entire series finished in another two sets.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
And yet I have this feeling Costco once again will be coming out with a special set of their own just after this is going to be released to remain consistent with all the other releases they've had with this show so far. Watch and see.
So far, they did not do this for the lost episodes set (although they did release Costco versions for some parts, but the extras were just from the original set), they just did it for the ultimate collection. Unfortunately they did do that extra Christmas DVD for the lost episode set, so they were not perfect with that set either. Hopefully, they won't play any games with this set but it is really hard to tell with them.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I am so sick of Time Life releasing a new expensive set when most has already been released. How about the new release be about new material?? Seriously, a hundred dollars for stuff thats been released on other dvds? Robbery!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
~sigh~ I really love this show. I really do. But I am sick and tired of going down this same road very couple of years. I'll be getting this set for the episodes that I don't have but seriously, how many more bloody times do I have to buy the episode with Went With The Wind? This whole experience has gone beyond old. Now the new Best of Tim Conway DVD was a waste of money. While I really, really want the entire series (a pipe dream, I know) I hope that this is the last go round with this show. I also hope that the Costco set will not have any new to DVD episodes (just like the Lost Episodes set) because I'm also tired of trying to track those down. I don't have a Costco in my state so I have to get these from Amazon or eBay and always WAY more then what the retail cost was.

On the plus side, and a super big YEAH, we are getting the series finale. It's been way, way to long a wait for that episode to be released.

I'll go through the list on Time Life and report which episodes are new to DVD.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, here are the 22 new to DVD episodes:

Show #105, October 14, 1968
Show #025, March 4, 1968
Show #109, November 18, 1968
Show #030, May 13, 1968
Show #305, September 29, 1969
Show #312, December 8, 1969
Show #811, December 7, 1974
Show # 906, September 13, 1975*
Show #913, December 20, 1975
Show #409, October 19, 1970
Show #420, February 1, 1971
Show #423, March 1, 1971
Show #0013, December 25, 1976
Show #0015, February 5, 1971
Show #0023, March 19, 1977
Show #511, November 17, 1971
Show #0109, November 19, 1977
Show #513, December 1, 1971
Show #0112, December 11, 1977
Show #0120, February 26, 1978
Show #618, February 3, 1973
Show #0124, March 29, 1978*

Note: This list includes the 4 episodes that were released on the Best of Tim Conway DVD. Those are in bold.

The episodes with an * are episodes that have Family Sketches that have not been released before. Sadly, there are still two sketches (September 24, 1977 and October 15, 1977) that have not been released nor have shown up on You Tube or anywhere else. The famous Family Sketch were they play Password has not been released on DVD yet. It is on You Tube though.

Last edited:

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Ok, here are the 22 new to DVD episodes:

Show #105, October 14, 1968
Show #025, March 4, 1968
Show #109, November 18, 1968
Show #030, May 13, 1968
Show #305, September 29, 1969
Show #312, December 8, 1969
Show #811, December 7, 1974
Show # 906, September 13, 1975*
Show #913, December 20, 1975
Show #409, October 19, 1970
Show #420, February 1, 1971
Show #423, March 1, 1971
Show #0013, December 25, 1976
Show #0015, February 5, 1971
Show #0023, March 19, 1977
Show #511, November 17, 1971
Show #0109, November 19, 1977
Show #513, December 1, 1971
Show #0112, December 11, 1977
Show #0120, February 26, 1978
Show #618, February 3, 1973
Show #0124, March 29, 1978*

Note: This list includes the 4 episodes that were released on the Best of Tim Conway DVD. Those are in bold.

The episodes with an * are episodes that have Family Sketches that have not been released before. Sadly, there are still two sketches (September 24, 1977 and October 15, 1677) that have not been released nor have shown up on You Tube or anywhere else. The famous Family Sketch were they play Password has not been released on DVD yet. It is on You Tube though.

Thanks for the list!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Just a quick glance (I'll need to dig a little more) but it looks, aside from the 4 episodes on the Best of Tim Conway DVD, that an additional 5 episodes on this list of new episodes appear to be edited. There are a couple more that I think might be edited but I'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I hadn't gotten around to purchasing the Tim Conway "Best Of". Good to know I don't need to.

I still wish TL would someday put out a set of all of the Family sketches, not only so that I'd have them all, but because it would be nice to have them all in one place/set. When I just want to watch several of them in one sitting, I'd like not to have to pull out multiple sets, hunt for the right episode, the right spot on the episode, etc. and then go through the same process again for each additional Family sketch. Hard to do a marathon (sorry, I've grown to hate the term "binge watch"; I find "marathon" preferable) when you have to go through so much of a hassle.

(A set with all of the Tudball/Wiggins sketches would be nice too, but the Family sketches have always been my favorite, so that would be my preference if given the choice.)

Last edited:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I made a tiny mistake on that list of previously unreleased shows.

Show #0015, February 5, 1971 should actually be Show #0015, February 5, 1977, not 1971. Sorry about that. Going through this list, I can now get rid of 7 Carol Burnett and Friends episodes that I taped last year. That still leave 35 Carol Burnett and Friends episodes that I need to keep. I also did some checking and I get my absolute favorite As The Stomach Turns sketch. It's the one where Marion comes in wearing the half back, half white dress. And I also get my absolute favorite Stella Toddler and Oldest Man sketch. Where they meet in a shoe store. Both sketches are way too funny.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I made a tiny mistake on that list of previously unreleased shows.

And I also get my absolute favorite Stella Toddler and Oldest Man sketch. Where they meet in a shoe store. Both sketches are way too funny.

It is one of my favorites too and was recently shown on ME-TV.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Further more on the February 3, 1973 episode (show #618) we get Vicki's performance of The Night Lights Went Out In Georgia. Finally! I've been wanting that performance for a very long time.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Further more on the February 3, 1973 episode (show #618) we get Vicki's performance of The Night Lights Went Out In Georgia. Finally! I've been wanting that performance for a very long time.
I guess Carol asked music clearance from Vicki?.....LOL And got it!....LOL

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't really know when this is getting released. I ordered my set directly through Time Life. That seems to be the only place at the moment. Down the road I'm sure Time Life will have a wide retail release but at the moment, it's just them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Didn't Carol surprise Vicki with a gold record after her performance since the single had sold over a million copies? Seems like I remember that on the original broadcast.

tunesfan1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Say Brian, I tried to send you a message a few days ago, and I tapped "Post" by mistake several times. Sorry. I just wanted to find out if you knew which sketch it is that has Tim and Harvey in it that has Tim putting some type of stocking over his head that's real tight on him, and Harvey is just breaking up. There's a very short clip of it in the current infomercial for Carols 50th, so I'm assuming it's in the new set, but I went through the episodes on the Time Life website, and nothing looks like it would be that sketch. It looks like they are robbers. Thank you so much for your time.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Didn't Carol surprise Vicki with a gold record after her performance since the single had sold over a million copies? Seems like I remember that on the original broadcast.

Yes and no. Yes, Carol did present Vicki with a gold record for The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia, but no, it was not after this performance of the song. It happened on a later episode and yes, that episode has been released on DVD.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Say Brian, I tried to send you a message a few days ago, and I tapped "Post" by mistake several times. Sorry. I just wanted to find out if you knew which sketch it is that has Tim and Harvey in it that has Tim putting some type of stocking over his head that's real tight on him, and Harvey is just breaking up. There's a very short clip of it in the current infomercial for Carols 50th, so I'm assuming it's in the new set, but I went through the episodes on the Time Life website, and nothing looks like it would be that sketch. It looks like they are robbers. Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry, I don't know what sketch that is nor which episode it would be in. It doesn't sound familiar. If I saw the clip I might recognize the sketch. If it is from seasons 1-5, then I'm pretty lost. I've only seen the episodes that have been released so far and only once. If it is from seasons 6-10, there is a good chance that I know the sketch. I've seen most of those seasons in the syndicated Carol Burnett & Friends episodes. Again, since it doesn't sound familiar, my best guess is that it's from seasons 1-5. There is a jewelry store robbery sketch with Harvey and Tim but I believe that Tim is doing his oldest man bit in it. If that is the sketch, then yes it is from the first five years but I don't recall what episode. I know that isn't much help, but that's about the best that I can do off the top of my head.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's my memory and the story goes Bobby Russell wrote it for Cher (Bono if you must) who thought it would be too controversial and turned it down ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks