1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Carol Burnett Show DVD On The Way

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Feb 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
  2. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I hope there's another error: the running time is listed as 153 minutes for four episodes.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    How much of the show remains unreleased now?

4. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Could be an error, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't spring for the music rights on these eps, since Tim was rarely involved in the musical numbers. Sketches only (or mostly) would significantly reduce the running times.

5. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    Yes, this sounds like a patchwork job - "Best Of Tim Conway"

6. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Out of 276 episodes, 133 have been released so far. With these 4 episodes that brings the total released shows (either complete or edited) to 137. That leaves 139 episodes left to be released.

7. Message #7 of 69 Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    The Time Life press release is incorrect. They have incorrect show numbers and air dates. Here is what the correct show numbers and air dares should be:

December 8, 1969 (show #312)
    March 1, 1971 (show #423) is incorrectly listed as April 19, 1971
    March 3, 1969 (show #120) incorrectly listed as December 1, 1971 (show #513) This is the episode with The Dentist sketch
    February 26, 1978 (show #1120) incorrectly listed as show #120

I think they need to correct this.

Show #513 did indeed air on December 1, 1971 but this is not the episode that contained The Dentist Sketch unless Tim and Harvey did it again on this show or the sketch from show #120 was re-aired. I checked the Carol Burnett Show Companion and it lists a Dentist sketch for both shows (120 and 513). So, I'm confused as to which episode is actually going to be on the disc. The Dentist sketch released on both of the large Time Life sets says the air date is March 3, 1969 and is from show #120.

8. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    It is show 513; the Dentist Sketch is rerun from the earlier episode by "popular demand."

9. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    And yes, the shows are brutally edited.

Approximate times are:
    39 minutes
    37 minutes
    30:30
    42:20

10. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    WOW! That's some serious butchering going on there. Shame, shame, shame. I suppose that just about all of the music is gone from these.

Thanks for clarifying the mystery surrounding the Dentist Sketch. I knew something about that didn't pass the sniff test.

11. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    It's funny that in the days before home video and YouTube, rerunning the old sketch on a new show was the only way for people to see it again. I wonder if that was a week where another sketch just lay there in rehearsal and they figured they could get away with a rerun just that once to fill the time.

I haven't watched all the episodes yet. Based on the sketch lists, there may be some music left in the first couple of episodes. I'll let you know.

12. Paintbeanie

Paintbeanie Stunt Coordinator

Peter
    That makes sense. They did rerun sketches on occasion. There is at least one other sketch that is on two different episodes (I believe it is Carol and Vickie singing about their mother and Harvey Korman comes out as their mother in his mother Marcus getup at the end). It confused me at first since the only episodes (I did try to watch one of the half hour carol and friends on tv land once but I just didn't care for it). I have seen are the ones on DVD, and I knew I had seen the sketch before and the episode was not a repeat. Additionally they have rerun the opening q and a's on occasion (I don't know if that was done originally or just on DVD).
    I am disappointed that these episodes are so heavily edited. I understand why they do it but it really changes the show in my opinion. It's hard for me to explain but best way is to say the original episodes have good variety but these edited down ones tend to lose that variety (and feel a little stale at times) without the musical numbers and tributes mixed in.

13. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    The only musical number that survived the knife was the Sweet Charity song "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This" in 423.

I know Time Life is planning more releases of the series because they asked me to fill out a survey about ways I would like the episodes released going forward. Perhaps best-of single discs like this one are their way of separating out the episodes with music they definitely can't afford to clear, leaving the complete episodes for larger releases. Just one theory.

14. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yes, that was indeed shown twice and both episodes have been released on DVD. Vicki and Carol sing 'If Mamma Gets Married' from Gypsy. I don't remember off the top of my head which two episodes it shows up, but one of them is an Anthony Newly episode and I believe that it is on the Carol's Crack Ups DVD set.

They also did Little Miss Broadway twice. First with Anthony Newly and the second time with Dick Van Dyke. The Dick Van Dyke version is better.

The film of Carol doing her Esther William bit is used twice. The first time is between 1969 and 1972 (I don't remember but it is on the Lost Episodes Large Set) and it is also on an episode in the Carol's Crack Ups set.

15. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    This is one of the last episodes of the show. An audience member asks Carol what they have planned for the final show. I like that Bob Mackie is featured during the Q&A part. He was very handsome when he was younger.

16. tunesfan1

tunesfan1 Auditioning

Ken

17. tunesfan1

tunesfan1 Auditioning

Ken
    Just a quick question. Do you happen to know which sketch and show number it is that has tim and Harvey

18. tunesfan1

tunesfan1 Auditioning

Ken
    Just a quick question. Do you happen to know which sketch and show its from that have Tim and Harvey as, I believe robbers and Tim puts, it looks like panty hose over his head and Harvey is breaking up? Thank you

19. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
  20. Message #20 of 69 Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    cherisland

cherisland Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    There are 22 new to DVD episodes in the "Best Of The Carol Burnett Show" 33 episodes on 11 DVD set (if I have counted right). Four of those episodes are from the recent :Best Of Tim Conway" release (still edited it would appear as well), so that leaves 18 new to DVD releases. I have already ordered the set to get those "new" to dvd 18 episodes. In the Deluxe Edition which has a total of 60 episodes on 21 DVD's, the additional 27 episodes have all been previously released onto DVD by Time Life. If you go to their web-site there is a complete listing of all episodes included in each set.