What's new

New Car, Remote starter recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Paul Sommers

Auditioning
Purchasing a new car, for my wife, and I have always wanted one with remote starter. Will be going the aftermarket route, so I was wondering if anyone has a recommenation of a particular brand, if one brand is better than the other, and what price should I be expecting? Any help?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Paul,
I would check with a local reputable car stereo installer on this one. Just remember that remote start is not cheap and normally only recommended if you have an automatic transmission. They can be put in sticks but it requires additional parts and you have to remember not to leave the car in gear ;)
I would look into some of the higher end Viper Alarms on the market. We use the automatic start on a lot of our RV's we sell through the viper alarm systems. (not sure which one we are using though... sorry)
KyleS

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Paul,

I had a Viper AutoStart/Entry remote installed on my '98 Rav4 last October by CircuitCity for less than $200. I absolutely LOVE IT! It's a Godsend on cold winter mornings.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I'm also in the market for a remote car starter (with an alarm system). There is the Viper 550ESP which is a remote starter/alarm system...around US$400 installed.

For a remote starter, I have seen several at the various dealers including Polar Start (models for both auto and manual trans) for around US$180 installed (auto version). Polar Start also has a remote start/alarm model for around US$240 installed (auto version).

It suppose to work in minus 40 Celsius (minus 40 F) weather too.

Dave

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I have a question about remote starters. I've always wanted one so I could start the car from inside on cold winter days.

Can you install them on cars that have keys with chips in them that send a signal to the engine when you start? For example, if I were to make a copy of my key and try to start the car, it wouldn't work because the copy wouldn't have the chip. So how would you get around this problem with a remote starter?

Aaron

KyleS

Screenwriter
Aaron,

Unless the manufacture makes something I think you could be out of luck since the internal CPU of the car needs to receive that signal before it will even turn the engine over. Best bet would be to check with the maker of the car (Say Cadillac) and see what they have for solutions or if the aftermarket equipment will do the job.

KyleS

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'm using the Viper 550ESP (I think that's the model number) Other than interference blocking the signal when I park in one specific parking lot, It's been working perfectly for me for a year and a half.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
You should try to find the remote starter that you want, and then look on eBay to find it. I found the keyless remote entry I wanted on eBay for like $30 and it was over $100 in stores. THen I only paid $20 to get it installed. So shop around and make sure you get a decent price.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Can you install them on cars that have keys with chips in them that send a signal to the engine when you start?
That "chip" (on GM cars at least) is actually a resistor. The car's computer expects a certain resistance on the contacts in order for the car to start. This is easily bypassed (by soldering a resistor into the circuit) to install a remote starter.

KJP

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Just remember that starting your car and letting it run for more than a minute or so is bad for the engine. It is recommended to start your car, drive gently for a few minutes until you get up to operating temperature, and then drive as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks