New Cambridge SoundWorks sub uses six 6.5" drivers in thin enclosure

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by LanceJ, Jun 24, 2006.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Newton Series P300 HD Powered Subwoofer

While scanning through their sub page, I thought for a second CSW was selling Apple G5 computers. [​IMG]

In addition to liking CSW's gear, I also have been whining for awhile now about the lack of non-cubical subs because 1) they can sometimes be difficult to place and 2) they don't always look that great. Though IMO CSW should have offered this sub with an optional wood finish for more traditional living room styles.

Cerwin-Vega also now sells a thin-profile sub, the dual 8" VE-28S (click on VE series).

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Might as well as list these thin subs too:

MTX 8" Lolita sub.

For small rooms or just to add some audible bass to round out a casual HT or music system where gear out-of-sightness is paramount. Several conventional 8" subs (not HTiB subs) I've heard did a good job of providing "regular" bass for movies and music, say, the equivalent of a pair of floorstanders each using an eight inch woofer themselves.

Infinity Cascade Model Fifteen.

This 98lb sub also comes with Infinity's R.A.B.O.S. bass optimization system which can help tame certain room response problems. Read about this system in a Stereophile review of the $10K Prelude MTS (a system consisting of a full-range array + a 12" sealed sub).

Try to check out the rest of the Cascade series speakers - ultra-cool looking gear.

Lastly, gotta put one in for the home team (my front mains are from this company): Boston Acoustics Sub10F Goes under the floor or behind the wall. Uses an external amp.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Interesting find Lance. Curiously enough, the original subwoofer from CSW had a similar profile with a single 12 inch cone.

The new sub appears to have its primary appeal in the appearance department, as response to 25Hz is not considered very potent for a $1,000 subwoofer. The lack of more detailed specs is disappointing, however, this sub will surely look great in a high style application.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Arthur: I agree with the style issue i.e. it's not really targeted towards the A/V ultra-enthusiast. And I'll unfortunately agree that this sub, and their other more conventional subs, are a bit overpriced for what you get. Ever since Adire's Rava doubled in price, I've been considering CSW's 12"/100 watt acoustic-suspension BassCube, but even though CSW is an online vendor* they sell it at a rather pricey $350......I don't know. It would have to sound really good. If I had the work space to do so, without that much work involved for $350 I could build my own sealed 12" with components from someone like PartsExpress & it would very probably really outperform the CSW.

* though IIRC they have two brick & mortar stores, one each on either coast.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Someone finally reviewed those Infinity Cascade speakers.

But I would like to know more about where/how the sub was set up, because a $1500/100lb/800W RMS subwoofer should go lower than what they measured:

from the article linked above
    FYI: there's a new(?) smaller & more conventional Cascade sub, the Model Twelve (10" woofer + dual 10" passive radiators). Looks a bit like a really classy wood-veneered toaster. [​IMG]

Otherwise the reviewer liked the how the sub sounded, and overall the entire system got a good review. And there is an extensive measurement section for the satellite speakers.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The rest of the world still gets the Prelude MTS series (true hi-end to me) , which according to the article above have been replaced here by the Cascades as the top model [​IMG] :

International Infinity site (Europe in this case)

And the Kappas are still there too. FYI: the new Beta and Primus series are also there.