What's new

new CA70ES; better redbook even on cheap speakers (1 Viewer)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
yesterday i browsed this forum way too much and finally decided to get a dedicated CD carousel, the Sony CA70ES. The most important reasons to upgrade were better oversampling for CDs with scratches and carousel capability. I did not expect a difference in sound quality between the CA70ES and the panny RP56 because of my Infinity RS2002 bookshelf mains (old and cheap), but there it was!

The CA70ES sounds more "consistent", warm and focused (using analog outputs; haven't used optical). the difference is, of course, small overall, but with concentration is always apparent.

anybody thinking about a dedicated CD player, do it NOW! the difference will probably be more apparent to most people here.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

Although I am not familiar with your speakers (and you don't state what you are using for amplification), the 'CA70ES is a much better CD player than the 'RP56. Your observations don't surprise me one bit. The only question I would have is whether one's equipment is capable of bringing out the differences between the players, and your system clearly is. Enjoy the 'CA70ES!

Jo,

For the life of me, I can't understand why Sony has not included coaxial digital outputs on its ES CD players. Even the recently discontinued US version of the CDP-XA20ES single-disc player with the excellent fixed-laser transport mechanism only has an optical digital output. Sony, in its infinite wisdom, provided a coaxial digital output on the European version of the 'XA20ES, but not on the US version. At least Sony included coaxial digital outputs on its ES SACD players.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"At least Sony included coaxial digital outputs on its ES SACD players."

Couldn't agree more... my 555ES changer is the very first CD player i've owned that has coax out...gotta love it (even though i go analog out! Lol, go figure..).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, I use the analog outputs on my SACD players, but I like the idea of having coaxial digital outputs should I ever want to go with an outboard DAC.

As a disclaimer, Sony did include coaxial digital outputs on flagship CD players, such as the CDP-XA7ES, but not on lower-priced ES CD players. I still don't understand it.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I've been looking at prices for the 70ES. I can get one new for $200. What do you guys think of $200 for this player. Is it a steal at that price or are there better players out there for that price?

Thanks

Legairre

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
eek. i paid full retail, but you have to ask yourself, do you trust the vendor willing to part with a new CA70ES for only $200? are they an authorized ES retailer?

Legairre

Supporting Actor
The one I know isn't authorized , but I've delt with them before. Since Evan's is authorized I'll pay the extra $15. Thanks Evan

So guys, is this a good player for the price?

Stefan A

Second Unit
I bought the CA80ES (step up from 70) a while ago but took it back within the week. I bought it about the time that they discontinued this model - so I got a great price ($330). I sat there for hours but could not hear a difference between it and my Yamaha 796 dvd player. I had a friend over who has an excellent ear and he could not hear a difference either. Believe me, I really wanted to hear a difference, but I just couldn't. If my finances were better, I definitely would have kept it - it was still a great player.

But, I am glad the 70 works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks