What's new

New Burner Not Recognized (1 Viewer)

Ian H.

Auditioning
I'm helping out a friend here. He took out his DVD-Rom drive and installed a Cendyne CD-Burner. For several months, the burner has been recognized intermittently and now not at all. The hard drive is the master on the first IDE channel. The CD-Burner is the master on the second(as was the old DVD-Rom drive) and he has a Zip drive as the slave. The Zip also is no longer recognized.

I've ruled out the IDE cable by using a new one and one that I know works. I've reinstalled the old DVD-Rom drive which never had a problem before, and it is not recognized. I've taken out the Zip drive and that doesn't help. I've double-checked the master/slave jumpers.

When Windows hasn't recognized a new drive, I've used the Add/remove hardware program in Control Panel, and it still doesn't recognize any new drive, except the hard drive of course.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Ian

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
First you need to determine if it's the hardware or Windows not recognising the drive.

Upon bootup, go into the BIOS and check the devices. If you can see it OK in there then you could try going into Windows' Device Manager and uninstalling the IDE controllers. Reboot and it should reinstall the drivers, possibly curing the problem. Failing that, I'd probably just reinstall Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks