What's new

New Boston Acoustics series spotted at Tweeter (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
But forgot to memorize the series name--oops. :b

They seemed like budget versions of their top "VR-M" series: the same general shape, same (externally) AMD tweeter; but new midrange. I couldn't find these on Tweeter's or Boston's site.

Saw a center channel, and three floorstanders. All were black :frowning:.

* Largest floorstander had dual 7" woofers, one 4.5" midrange, and the AMD tweeter (hey Boston: what's the deal with this funky-sized woofer y'all keep using??). About $1250/pair.

* Next smaller model same as above but used dual 6.5" woofers in a significantly smaller cabinet. About $850/pair.

* Smallest floorstander used dual 6.5 inchers & the AMD tweeter--no midrange. About $600/pair.

* Center used three of those same midranges + AMD tweeter. I think it cost $400.

Didn't have time to listen to them & didn't have any of my own CDs with me anyway. Sorry!

BTW: Circuit City has a new line from Infinity called "Primus". Looked like an entry-level series.

LJ

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I spoke with the sales guy I always work with around here the other day and he said his shop was taking up a new line from Boston Acoustics that appears to be based on their VR-M line. Personally, I hope this is true. I've said it numerous times -- if more of BA's speakers sounded more like the VR-M series, they would have an entirely different (i.e., better) reputation.

-Robb

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This new series is now on Boston's site.

Here's the top model, the VR3.

And check out the sensitivity rating.

LJ

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone explain to me a litel bit about the sensitivity rating and what it does?

Thanks, Mark

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Sensitivity, the quick and dirty version :):

Basically, it just means how loud a speaker gets when a certain amount of power is applied. It's usually measured with one watt of power with the test microphone placed one meter away from the speaker. I think they use pink noise to do this, but can't remember exactly.

A speaker with an 85dB sensitivity rating is commonly known as a "power sponge"; one with a 100dB rating is sometimes known as "really f**kin' loud!".

Inefficient speakers are NOT bad--it's just that certain designs trade loudness for: deeper bass; or less distortion; or higher accuracy.

LJ

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Well, I can't wait to audition these. I've never been very comfortable recommending anything other than the VR-M line for folks to add to their list of speakers to audition. So unless someone's prepared to hit $1,000 per speaker mark, BA often gets left out. On *paper* these look like they could be the ticket.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks