What's new

New Blu-ray titles: Kingdom of Heaven 1st 50 gb dual layer (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I agree. I currently own many complete Television series, and while I can watch many in a row (episodes) I personally would find it difficult to sit for an extended period of time watching. But I also have a friend that will sit and watch as many episodes as he can get in. Guess it may not be all that unusual.

But for all of the issues surrounding HD releases, from mediocre titles (not all, but many), shortages, and in some cases poor mastering, why in the world are we worried about flipping disks? I could understand it if the disk flip is in the middle of a movie.

Seems like such a minor point IMHO.

I want better releases, and I could care less if they have to put the special features on another disk.

Thomas Eisenmann

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The same reason we don't want like things spread to 8, or 17, or 30 discs. If technology can get it done then the less the better.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
First, I'm not saying that watching for 8 hours in one sitting is the justification for BD50. I've already said that it's the facilitating of access for shows that's the justification. So let that stand.

Have you seen LOST? I got introduced to it on DVD... and it was so addictive I actually was late to work a couple of mornings because of all the sleep I lost. Then I loaned the DVD set to my friend who hadn't seen the show... and *she* spent a whole weekend in front of the tube... not moving for hours and hours on end.

Yes, that's the exception that prooves the rule. Hence my smiley-face.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

1080P video commentary? Do we really need to see the filmmakers sitting around a table with headphones on discussing the movie in 1080P resolution? Is this a feature that folks have been clamouring for?

Vincent

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Open the box. Step out.

Remember on Bambi how there was an entirely separate full-resolution video presentation that showed the animation was created and would interpose work prints and story-boards? It was presented as "hard coded" video commentary... the entire feature film was presented a separate time and sometimes you'd see items in a small PIP window and sometimes it would flip with the main feature so you could see the work prints full scale etc. That's video-commentary that requires (or would benefit from) full resolution of the feature film.

Know how there are plenty of scenes in LOTR where the commentary referrs to special effects sequences which are actually recorded in full 1080 resolution (though only presented in 480 on the DVD) in the separate special features? Those native 1080 resolution special effects sequences could stream along side the film and be presented in PIP mode while listening to commentary until the viewer opted to view them in full scale and "swap" them with the feature film which then moves into the PIP window.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Sorry, but the difference between 30 and 50 GB is not going to stop the disk replacement for a season of a television series, just lessen it. And less is better is in the eyes of the beholder. As I said, and qualified in my post, I am speaking for myself. I want the focus of the studios to produce quality, not worry about the amount of disks required for season 5 of 24. Again, just my opinion.

Thomas Eisenmann

MarekM

Supporting Actor

you mean between 30 and 50 GB, right ? we are talking about 66% more space if you take 30GB as default.... and in my opionion it will lessen it if done right and with right codec.. hmm I wonder how many 50GB disk will took one season of 24, 3,4,5 disks ?

Marek

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Yep, meant 30. Sorry, just a typo.

I guess though, we might as well dump both systems until terabyte HD systems is developed and we can put a whole 10 year series on a single disk.;)

Thomas Eisenmann

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think that's too rare a circumstance to base a video format on. Can you name more than a literal handful of films (out of 100,000 or more) that are very long and don't have a natural, intended intermission?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I already stated that the ability to better store TV series is a strong reason to adopt BD50.

And as long as we've got two formats that a year from now will be each competitively priced with virtually identical features and authoring quality... why *not* enjoy the one that doesn't force compromises with long films?

Given that many folks would consider the LOTR sets available in HD reason enough to invest in HD hardware, I'm not sure that it's fair to say that those films aren't, in fact, worth basing a video format on.

I don't want an HD format that can't present the crowning-jewels of cinema (Ben-Hur, LOTR, 2001, Lawrence of Arabia...) without compromise. BD50, while still not perfect, will certainly require far fewer compromises.

The 1.5 x bandwidth of BD is also a very powerful reason to favor that format in the long-term. This would allow for multiple lossless sountracks, music-only tracks along side the feature film in 24/96 lossless, and other yet-to-emerge features that would not have space in the HD DVD bandwidth.

Even if BD and HD DVD had the same absolute storage capacity, the 1.5 x bandwidth of BD will allow that format to evolve/extend in quality and featuresets (like 3-D encoding which would require 2 simultaneous 1080p streams sharing the same bandwidth) over time. HD DVD is locked to "just a movie" right out of the gate.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

For me, this is not an issue. I have yet to see anything that BR does better that HD. I have yet to see any features on BR that enhance viewing over what is being delivered by HD. None of these comments are meant to bash BR, as I will be getting on myself is Pioneer ever gets off the pot and releases their unit.

As far as the bandwidth issue, I guess we will see if, and that is a big if, the studios decide to use it. Up to this point, it is pretty much a mote point. Certainly if they decide to use it, it is going to come at a premium.

Thomas Eisenmann

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

If you've been paying attention, you'd have realized we're not talking about the pathetic "launch" quality of BD. We're talking about what's in store from WB, Fox, and Disney now that they're about to show Sony how it's done.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This disc flipping auguring is flipping weird!
Neither format can hold an entire season of a one hour show.
Are posters actual fighting over;
My format flips less than your format
???

If one format held an entire season of a show on one disc & the "other" format took three or more discs, maybe I could relate. What's even funnier, is there are no 50GB TV show disc to even watch, let alone fight over. What if 50GB TV show discs do come out, with more then one disc per season. Do the we don't want to flip crowd, flip on this 'feature' as well?
Flipping awful waste of time!

I hear the "Get Smart" SD DVD release, will be one of the smartest TV releases of the year. Wonder how long this takes to be release in HD?

Combo player have be said to make "The War" moot.
I don't buy that.
It would make the format war moot for the lucky consumer that could choose freely between format offerings.
However, the war would still rage with the waring formats over which titles would be released on which formats.

A better "moot", is the "all in one" disc solution to this boring war.
Any studio could release any of their content on a single disc with SD DVD, BD, & HD DVD. Allowing consumers to play the disc, on any of the three current digital disc players they choose.
War over!

Now...
back to the flipping war, I guess?!?!?!?!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In the long run 20 extra gigabytes isn't going to make or break Blu-ray IMO, and I agree that the "flipper" argument is getting a bit silly. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
50 gigs offers 66% more storage than 30 gigs. I con't see how anyone can pretend that a 66% increase isn't significant.

If your boss offered you a 66% raise in your salary, I doubt we'd be hearing the same position of "no real increase" touted when making that bank deposit.

HD DVD is a very good format. And it can do a great many things very well. That doesn't mean that 50 gigs isn't a significant increase over 30.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I didn't say it wasn't significant David, I said I didn't think that extra capacity is going to make or break Blu-ray.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Got it.

I would agree with that. I don't think that any of the advantages I see with BD's potential will make or break the format.

But whatever market issues do make/break, I'll be happy to have that 50 gigs (and extra bandwidth) if BD makes it.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I guess people can "pretend that a 66% increase isn't significant",
because...
it hasn't been used yet. So really, there is no need to "pretend" about something that isn't real (yet).
HD DVD hoards can "pretend" 45GB disc are coming. That would mean BD unseen advantage, would only be 12% greater than HD DVD unseen advatage.
When 50GB disc make their debut & 45GB HD DVD are nowhere on the horizon,
then nobody will have to pretend about anything.
And reality will rule HD discs.
How refreshing!!!

EDit:
I just thought of something (amazing!!!);
When are BD backers going to stop pretending that a 20% increase isn't significant?
25GB vs. 30GB
Because they just keep saying 50GB is coming, 50GB is coming.
So what's the differance between the two waring formats???
(and yes, Tosh needs to get 45GB into the format for real, not just it can be done, to; it should be done)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes, Ed, but it;s not like 50GB disc are year away....... they are around corner..., and 45GB hd-dvd disk are nowhere on the horizon at this moment...

Marek

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That's why I posted;
"When 50GB disc make their debut & 45GB HD DVD are nowhere on the horizon,
then nobody will have to pretend about anything."
Sound familiar? ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks