What's new

new Blackalicious album (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hip-hop fans (all two of you ;) ), I picked up Blackalicious' new album yesterday and am spinning it right now for the first time. I'm half-way in and am simply loving it.
I have never heard them before, but they get so much good press I couldn't resist the impulse buy. Man, this music is sweet. The rhymes are dense and will take a couple of listens to dig all the verbage. The music itself a wonderful blend of old-school beats, soulful melodies and smooth-steady groove.
There are also a bunch of guests on the album, most of whom I never heard of, but the diverse sounds adds a nice flavor.
Highly recommended. :emoji_thumbsup:

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Mike, I've had Blazing Arrow since the day it came out. Outstanding. Nia is a good album as well, but Blazing Arrow is one of the best albums I've heard all year. I love the track with Cut Chemist (Jurassic 5 DJ) Chemical Calestenics.
You may already know this, but Blackalicious got started working with DJ Shadow, Lyrics Born, and more on the now -defunct SoleSides label. Ninja Tune put out a great disc called SoleSides Greatest Bumps which I highly recommend.
Oh, and I've been meaning to tell you about another group as well. I've seen your 'jazz club' thread and was afraid to post this act in there because it's on a hip-hop label.
The band is called Yesterday's New Quintet. The album title is 'Angles Without Edges'. On the Stones Throw label. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Jazz with some hip-hop beats. Do me a favor and pick this one up, I PROMISE it won't disappoint.
And if you want some other good hip-hop from 2002, I suggest El-P 'Fantastic Damage' The beats are hard to digest and it took me a few listens to get into, but now it's one of the best I've heard all year.
And currently sitting at my #1 favorite CD of 2002 is Peanut Butter Wolf's 'Jukebox 45's'. This is another one that I offer the personal Jason K. stamp of approval. To listen to it is to love it. It'll also give you a taste for the Stones Throw label, which is arguably the best underground hip-hop label out there.
I'll quit rambling now, but whenever I see a hip-hop thread I try to cram as much info in as possible, since they tend to disappear pretty quickly.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The band is called Yesterday's New Quintet. The album title is 'Angles Without Edges'. On the Stones Throw label. Jazz with some hip-hop beats. Do me a favor and pick this one up, I PROMISE it won't disappoint.
This sounds cool. Is it something I'll actually find in a store? I buy very little rap (not because I don't want to, simply other things have higher priority), and the Blackalicious album was just in my head as I was browsing around the record store the other day. If it's in a store, there's a much greater chance of me actually buying it.

I'm sure your other recommendations are great. There's just too much music out there...

I'm still indebted to you for introducing me to Jurassic 5. Man, I love that album.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
You can find YNQ in stores, but probably not at a Best Buy or Circuit City. I know you can get it at CDNow, but I'm sure it will be more expensive than a brick-and-mortar shop.

There's just too much music out there...
Tell me about it. I've just recently been re-introduced to the world of vinyl. I am working on a list of stuff I want that's on vinyl, but not CD. It seems to balloon by the day.

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
i've enjoyed blazing arrow as well. first in flight gets so much play time in my car. some of the lyrics in that song make me shiver.

another good cd i just bought is J-Live's new album. there are some awesome beats on this cd, and his lyrical skills are superb. i suggest anyone into that smoothed out r&b flavored hip-hop pick up this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks