What's new

New Big Screen Classics series in Suffern. NY! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Here we go again, folks :)

Following is a list of the first 2003 series of classic films to be presented at the historic Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, New York. The Lafayette is a huge 1250-seat, single screen movie house built in 1923 and features a genuine Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ.

All films will be in 35mm, all shows are on Saturdays at 12 noon, and all seats are $6.00. I hope some of you can make it!

As a little added incentive, here is a photo of the interior of the theatre (visit the website for a larger look):

2003 SCHEDULE

February 15 - IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)

February 22 - GLORY (1989)

March 1 - Astaire & Rogers - THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY (1949)

March 8 - THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)

March 15 - THE BUGS BUNNY/LOONEY TUNES CARTOON FESTIVAL

March 22 - THE QUIET MAN (1952)

March 29 - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935)

April 5 - Alfred Hitchcock’s REAR WINDOW (1954)

April 12 - LAURA (1944)

April 19 - BEN-HUR (1925 silent film, presented with live Theatre Organ)

April 26 - THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

May 3 - SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950)

May 10 - THE PRODUCERS (1968) – The 35th Anniversary

May 17 - ALL ABOUT EVE (1951)

May 24 - SUPERMAN - The Restored Director’s Cut (1978)

May 31 - FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (1963) – The 40th Anniversary

June 7 - SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN (1952)

June 14 - KING KONG (1933) – The 70th Anniversary; SPECIAL 1933 ADMISSION PRICE OF 50 CENTS FOR THIS SHOW!

June 21 - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981)

June 28 - THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

July 5 - STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER (1952)

Big Screen Classics website

Thanks for reading and enjoy the show!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's only about 2 hours from where I am... I may make the trip down for Superman or Raiders if I'm free. That's a great photo; I love the old movie houses. Thanks for posting regardless.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I'm 10 miles away and ARRGGGHHHH!!! :angry: :angry: I WORK SATURDAYS!!! :angry: :angry:

Damn!!! I had NO idea this theater was here! I'd love to see these in a real theater. Oh no.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks again for the info Pete. Since I now live 5 minutes away from this theater, my wife and I will be seeing many of these films.:emoji_thumbsup:

Btw, how is the projection and sound in this theater Pete?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Tino: Projection and sound are top-notch. We have Century picture and sound heads, Xetron lamhouses, Schneider lenses, and an HPS4000 sound system. I think you'll be pleased.

Jason - hope you can make it to some of the shows. Maybe you're due for a little "sick time"? :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm really looking forward to this series. Will anybody from this forum be attending this Saturday's premiere presentation? It will be great to see IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT on the big screen in a grand old theatre!

Bob

John O

Stunt Coordinator
It is a great old theater, I used to go there with the wife and kids several years ago. I will have to hook up with my buddy Tino for Raiders :) .

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm so there John! I'll be catching quite a few of these shows.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Does anyone know the condition of the 35mm print for this weekend? I believe Columbia was doing a restoration on this title several years ago...

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Wow, Peter. I can only dream of one of these types of theaters coming to Cape Cod. However, my parents live in Greenwich, CT and my mother's birthday is on 4/16. I think we'll have to celebrate on the 12th and take her to see "Laura".

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Ben-Hur? From Russia With Love? A 35 mm print of the Superman director's cut? Raiders?

I want to move!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Does anyone know the condition of the 35mm print for this weekend? I believe Columbia was doing a restoration on this title several years ago...
Hi, Bob!

Just finished inspecting the print a little while ago. From the looks of it - on the rewind bench, at least - it seems to be a very nice print. There appears to be very little surface wear and only one or two mid-reel splices in the whole 6 reels. Worst part is that some blind projectionist punched a couple of extra sets of cue marks at the reel ends. Not a big deal, however, as the reels are virtually complete.

Can't wait to see it light up the screen on Saturday!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The restored It Happened One Night is wonderful. A few scenes came from poor quality reduction elements, but still look reasonably good. The rest looks fresh from 1934.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks