New BFD questions- anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Nance, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Happy holidays!

Santa brought me a new Behringer 1124p for Christmas, and after reading past threads, and also Sonny and Ken's excellent web pages, I went to work. I had good results with 5 filters, but have a couple questions that I don't remember seeing before:

1. Over at DIY forum, the convention for sub levels is to run your receiever sub out as low as you can, so you can set the gain on your sub amp as high as you can.

With the BFD, to get a good level to the unit, I'm running my sub out much hotter (+2 as opposed to -8)and my sub amp is down around 1/4, rather than over 1/2.

Does that mirror most of your setups with the BFD?

2. My room is pretty moderate, around 15.5'x19' with a low 6.5' ceiling. The TV is on a short wall, with the sub in a corner. The room is sealed.

My main listening area is a couch about 9 feet back from the speakers that seats three. I found that each of these seats had different responses- sometimes radically so.

Is that normal? Or does my couch happen to be placed across some deep nulls in the room? I basically tried to go after response problems that showed up across the board, and then EQ'd to my usually seat, which happened to have the worst response.

Any comments or suggestions about that?

As far as actual response, I seem to be having pretty good success. I'm going for a house curve, but not sure how much of a curve to dial in for my size room. I've decided that I'm not going to try to fix response bumps of 2db here and there, as I won't be able to hear the difference.

Once I get a response I like, I'll post measurements for inspection, but I'm mostly wondering how people pick a response graph to fix, if the measurements in room are wandering all over the place from seat to seat!

Thanks!

Wes Nance
    Rochester, NY

2. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

bump-

Wondering mostly about the sub level on receiver and whether I should try to move my couch.

Thanks,

Wes

3. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I have the same setup. I turned the trim on my sub way down on the pre/pro and then I could turn the amp on my SVS up to about 30%.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne