What's new

New "BEN HUR" Deluxe Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
A new deluxe collector's edition of BEN HUR (MSRP $79.98 from Creative Design) is scheduled for release on June 11th. Here are some of the details:

"Collector's Set is packaged in a luxury fitted slipcase and includes 8 Limited Edition Lobby Card Prints; Film Senitype (image from the film and 35mm film frame), One-Sheet Movie Poster; A Collection of Black and White Photo Stills; DVD includes: Audio Commentary by Charlton Heston, Making Of, Trailer, Cast/Director Film Highlights, Filmography, Production Stills, Isolated music track; Newly-discovered screen tests of actors cast and not cast."

I'm wondering if the video transfer is the same? The isolated score (even though it was included on the laserdisc) is definitely worth having.

Jeff

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I think this is like the other WB box sets made by
?Creative Arts?, just the same DVD out now with a
soundtrack CD, small booklet, poster, and film frame.

Same as the others like the Matrix box set.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Even though Ben-Hur is my all time favorite movie I can't see the justification in getting this if one already has the current DVD and the old 35th Anniversary CAV LD set which has the isolated score as well (the old LD also used a different trailer in the supplements than the DVD does).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Another lost opportunity.
Perhaps WB will show the correct 2.55:1 version without the mattes for the 50th anniv. in 2004. :D
(For those who don't know already, Ben-Hur on DVD is simply a 2.55:1 image which is incorrectly matted to yield a 2.76:1 aspect ratio. The only way to show THAT ratio correctly would be to take away the mattes and use a 70mm print. The DVD used a 35mm 2.55:1 print.)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Geez, earlier today I was lamenting over Excalibur's incorrect cropping and now I have to see this. What is so hard about getting the aspect ratio right?

Ric

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The original DVD was a 1 disc flipper. Amazon list this Collector's Edition as a 2 disc set, which presumably is needed to include the isolated score. Definitely worth getting for people like me who don't have the laser disc.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
There are reports from the Film Score Monthly message board that the isolated score report is false and the press release (or whatever that is) is in error.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This sucker, owning the original booklet from the theatrical release in this country, a VHS version and the previous DVD (but not the LD) will order the new set.
And keeps his fingers crossed that they will put the ratio right without cropping.

Cees

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
All the posters in these WB limited edition boxes are folded, yeah, poster collectors won't stand for this, but this is strictly for fan :D

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I don't own Ben Hur yet, but I would still probably just buy the regular disc. I wouldn't honestly listen to a isolated score anyway.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
If this release stays in line with previous Warner/Creative Design releases, the DVD will be exactly the same as the current one.
Just subtract the price of the DVD and ask yourself if you think the cards and folded poster are worth that extra money.

BH is my #2 all-time film and there is no way I'm buying this set as is. Maybe, maybe if I didn't have the LD and DVD already. I like hard copy extras like these but I'd rather that these sets debuted at the same release date as the normal disc.

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas:

Today I checked with Fry's and Virgin and neither have this special edition though they say it's on order.

If you're considering this release because of the "isolated music track" be forewarned: The stores I mentioned will not allow you to return a dvd just because an advertised feature is not included on a disc, unless the disc is defective (won't play). They said you would have to take that issue up with the company that produced the disc.

I should also point out that Warner Brothers advertised an isolated score on their release of "The Time Machine" dvd (1960 version) but no isolated score was included. If the isolated score feature is something you desire, I'd hold off until someone can confirm it exists on this release.

Jeff

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I truly believe there is no isolated score. George Feltenstein, who was responsible for the two CD set of the complete score was quite adamant that there would never be an isolated score on DVD or any DVD release and I think this is just advertisers error. The DVD appears to be the same as the one we can already get and so its just an extra $50 for rather valueless extras when all is said and done (which is why I never bother with these sets).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks