New Bee wants to buy Home Theater

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Comb, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Comb

Comb Auditioning

Pls suggest some names i wana buy home theater for my new 27" Sony Tv ,i live in one bedroom appartment dont want any thing expensive but decent with good sound.

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum. You'll get more responses if you post a budget. You can buy a HT for $100 or $30K or more.

3. Comb

Comb Auditioning

oh about $300-400 Dollors

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is not a Basics-area question. Post in the appropriate hardware-related area when asking for what to purchase.

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

You know, seeing as how many people post in here looking for HTiBs. I know now, but a newbie will definitely look at the available forums and go .. ok, Basics must be it. I'm sure everyone has noticed it happens often enough, anyway.

It's also intimidating to have just joined an online community, and with your first posting be told "this is not the place". Not very friendly, or welcoming

Worse, there is no clearly appropriate hardware area for HTiBs - it's not that obvious - even to me, and especially to a neophyte - whether a HTiB falls into the speaker area, amplifier/receiver or sources because it usually has all three built into one box.

I would like to suggest therefore that either a HTiB area be opened or better yet allow HTiB discussions in basics. After all I myself started with a basic HTiB, and there are really not that many basic questions that have not been answered in the Primer.

my $0.02

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

With a $300. to $400. budget and limited space a "home theater in a box" system makes sense. This has all the equipment (except the TV) in one or two cartons purchased as a single "item" but you may need help carrying it to your car and then into your home.

You will have to see a system of the make and model installed and operating in the store to judge the sound quality. HTiB systems generally do not have earth shattering volume and bass, you have to go more upscale, with separate A/V receiver and speakers.

If you already have a DVD player or if you have upgrading on the very near horizon you may prefer to purchase A/V receiver and speakers separately from the git go. Here you can mix and match.

I'll have to leave it up to you whether to spend more money on the A/V receiver now and buy el-cheapo speakers now intending to upgrade soon, or buy half decent front speakers now and expect to upgrade everything else soon.

One caution with HTiB systems, many don't have component video connections although practially all have S-video connections. You may not notice any improvement from component video connections given a 27 inch TV. Also some may have ribbon cables (non-standard) instead of regular RCA plug cables and jacks making partial upgrades difficult.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Comb

Comb Auditioning

Thanks Allan How good is SC-HT920 Panasonic home theater system ..?