What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Best Buy enjoy your 2 mont exclusivity and your Full retail pricing I can wait until Sept 20th to escape extorsion, bad move Warner.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

No, no...this is Universal, Warner is doing it on other things ;)

Like I said, we're going to see more of these in the future. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, since we haven't gone through a cycle of a Best Buy exclusive that then appears in stores. Studios will need to examine the sales, and backlash from other retailers, and see if this is viable for other things. Best Buy must be making them a sweet deal if they're willing to risk pissing off other retailers.

I guess this is similar to the online exclusives that we've seen in the past; Xena, Hercules, Highlander, My So-Called Life, Kids in the Hall, and probably some others, except they appear in Best Buy instead of just online.

Gord

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, lets see. I have the season recorded in High Definition from Universal HD (2 episodes left plus a marathon if I need to rerecord any episodes). The podcast commentaries and deleted scenes (admitedly lower resolution) from SciFi. That would have to be some special DVD set to get me to shell out full price for 13 episodes. ($16.99 maybe)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I can certainly wait until September to pick it up cheaper than the SRP. I'm starting to get a bit tired of these Best Buy exclusive windows... expecially when they feel the need to charge the full SRP.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Basically we're looking at a normal September DVD release. In addition we have the option of paying a premium to get the discs early, either at our local Best Buy or through Best Buy.com. Put that way, does this really seem like such a rip-off? Why is giving fans more options - none of which anybody is forced to choose - a bad thing? The studios get a deal, Best Buy makes a killing, the folks who are compelled to buy the things as early as possible can, those who'd rather save money can do that. If there were no Best Buy exclusive and Universal simply released the set in September, how would I be better off? If I now have the option of getting a more expensive release in July or waiting until September anyway and paying less, how am I harmed? And why in the world should I care if someone else chooses to pay more in July, as long as I don't have also have to?

Regards,

Joe

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree with Joseph. We have all the info we need to make an informed buying decision. So where's the harm? Waiting two months isn't going to kill me--- I've got plenty of other DVDs to keep me occupied; and if I really want to spend extra, I'll go to Future Shop (assumedly they'll be getting this too, since they're owned by Best Buy and have carried other Best Buy exclusives, like the Star Trek bonus discs).

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I hope. I'm cool with all of this as long as what all other retail stores get in September is exactly the same as what BB is selling in July.

Has it been confirmed by Best Buy that the price on their website is the price they'll be selling it for on the week of release? Not that I would be surprised given that their exclusive Welcome Back Kotter disc is $5 more expensive than all of the other WB "Television Favorites" discs.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Interesting that Best Buy is listing the "UK Version"..

this could be one of two (or both) things..

1 - it has the UK version of the theme (this wasn't present even on the UniversalHD broadcasts).

2 - it has the SLIGHTLY EDITED version of some episodes.. to whit..

in the UK broadcast of "Bastille Day" there is a scene where Boxey is seen lighting Starbuck's cigar has been removed. Also there is significant edit in one of the pre-flight briefings..

Kara: Just can't wait to get back to the big G and the lovin' embrace of your fellow pilots? Or maybe you have a hot date with your right hand.

Flat Top: Hey, it never gets a headache.

Kara: Tell you what Flat Top, you come in too hot today, you may have to start using your left.

Is missing from the UK broadcast (I don't know if these were replaced in the UK DVD Release).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Well I definitely won't be buying it from Best Buy. It's things like this that keep me out of that store every week.

Can someone explain how this is not short term price fixing since all BB stores are required to sell the item for the exact same price?

Price Fixing: The practice of fixing the price for a particular product or service by the government or a business, instead of letting it react freely to market forces. The government fixes prices in order to eliminate price fluctuations for certain commodities. If private business uses this practice in order to obtain artificially high prices it is considered illegal.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Ever see the original MSRP for The Sopranos or Sex and the City for their short seasons? This is hardly shocking. The X-Files sets had a list price of $100, and that's about what my local Best Buy has marked the Babylon 5 sets up to again, now that the initial sales rush has passed.

Regards,

Joe

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Thats the detail I was missing. I knew it didn't sound right because companies have "exclusives" all the time. They're just not usually an entire DVD release. :)

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
I reviewed the other threads - they didn't have to do with this release, the press around it, the price drop, or anything - so that's why we have a new post.

According to Tvshowsondvd.com BestBuy will have the set, now priced at 49.99 on July 26th - two months before US retail.

The BestBuy site now lists it as Battlestar Galactica (UK Version) - any one know what that's all about? I know there is talk of music differences and what not - but is this the set that will make retail in the US, or is this something else?

I'm confused - anyone else?

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
I also know about this:

"Universal Studios Home Entertainment has joined Fox and Warner Bros in offering Best Buy a title before other retailers. Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 will appear in Best Buy stores on July 26, and sell for $69.99. Best Buy has listed it as "Battlestar Galactica (Uk Version)," which doesn't make sense; it's the entire first season of the series. It also appears that they're charging full SRP, and they'll get away with it since they don't have any competition for 2 months.

We've been told by other retailers that the regular retail release will be on September 20.

We'll try to post more information when it's available, but Best Buy exclusive titles are kept fairly quiet.

Update - Some people have suggested that Best Buy has imported the UK release. That's not the case; these are region 1 DVDs which Best Buy has for an exclusive period of time. It's possible that the "Uk Version" is in reference to the UK opening theme (which was reworked for the US), or it could simply be something Best Buy added to the listing. We'll have to wait and see when it's released, or whenever Best Buy updates their site with more information."

Just hoping for more insight - will there be a future US release that is different? Should I be cautious about buying this set right away for this reason?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Guido,

No one has information on this title. It's impossible to get the studio to talk about it, since they don't want to upset other retailers, and they haven't announced the release at all. I think we're going to have to wait, possibly until July 26, for news on the set.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks