What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
So basically this means we're gonna end up paying close to Star Trek Prices for 20 episodes when it's all said and done.
I applaud universal for wanting to get the set out early. But they could lower the MSRP on it by $10.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks Gord. Get some sleep and unlist that phone number.

According to the Ronald D. Moore's podcast for episode 210 "Pegasus," this episode ran about 15 minutes long, and had to be cut for broadcast. Universal has agreed to provide the longer version on the DVD.

That ought to be worth something additional in the cost of the set, guys. What, maybe $5? :)

- Steve

Eric F

Screenwriter
They were probably shocked that the S1 set is doing so well.

What I do find interesting is that they'll be selling this 2.0 set about the same time the HD version is running on Universal-HD.

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator
The Canadian network Space can't be happy about this news. The show will be out on R1 DVD before the episodes have even started airing in Canada? This makes their decision to hold-off on the first half of Season 2 even worse.

John*D

Second Unit

I was surprised b/c usually UNI will do the first release of a series with DVD-9s and then do every other release with DVD-18s. At least that has been my experience with UNI; SLIDERS, QL, and the A-TEAM.

----

:star: At first I was wondering how the entire season was going to fit on 3 DVD-9s, but I just re-read the news story.

It's only going to be 1/2 a season. Why in the world are they doing this? I thought this was only something the studios do for R2? FOX is doing the same thing for Family Guy as well.

Why are they NOW consisdering WINTER BREAK for a tv show reason enough to break up the DVD release?

I'd rather wait for the entire season to air and then buy a full season! It saves me money in the long run as one set will cost less than buying two.

:angry: I imagine the exec's have $$ in their eyes...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would also like to know if there will be a full season two set released in the future. I'm going to find it really hard to justify paying what I paid for 17 hours of television for only 10 hours of television (not even accounting for commericals!).
Much as I love the show, I'm probably going to hold off and buy both halves at once if need be once the whole season's out.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

There was a bit of time between those releases, and during that time the company switched most of their releases from single-sided to double-sided discs. I don't think it had anything to do with something being season 1, then switching for season 2.

I'm happy to see they're using more single-sided discs.

Gord

Maybe it´s just me, but the MSRP on that set is WAY too high. $49.98 for 10 episodes with "some" extras still tba ? Only $10 less than the extremely extensive and complete Lost - Season 1 box ?

That´s two thumbs down for Universal.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think they're sticking with their original contention. I know when I bought the original series DVD set it was priced at around $89.99 at Best Buy. I picked up the set because I had always wanted that set in my personal collection. But, it was disappointing to see that Buck Rogers hit stores at $89.99 then Best Buy dropped the price down to $79.99 after a few months.

But, I've been waiting for this to happen with the Season 2 set. I had figured that Universal would release the Season 2 set at around $100 anyway.

Has anyone heard if Universal has fixed the problem with their defective disks yet? When I bought A-Team Season 2 and Magnum PI Season 2 I had to return the sets due to "pausing" problems on these disks. Just wish the studios would take extra care in determining if there are problems with their DVD's before they release them.

I've had problems with just about every release of ADV Films Farscape Starburst DVD's, exchanging each release three or four times before I got a copy that played without the defects.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
From what I can tell, the issue is with the edges of the DVD-18s. Any problem I've had occurs right before or after the layer change (end of the second episode, or start of the third). I've received the same comments from other people. I called Deluxe, but I haven't heard back from them (and I doubt I will).

Gord

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I am eager to get more BG, so I will probably find it impossible to resist getting the "half of season two" release this Xmas, but I just KNOW they'll re-release the whole set with better extras (and the comlete season) later.

I mean there's no way they'll have time to do proper extras or cast commentaries if they're rushing this half out for December. And while Moore's podcasts are kind of nice, I'm also sick of hearing Moore, Moore, Moore and more Moore.

Actually - I am just assuming the latest podcasts are Moore. Are they someone else? Anyone else doing the "pod" thing who can say?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Yes Rick, you certainly did. How I wish you had been wrong. :frowning:

Can't say I'm happy about this decision (though it does match up with how the episodes are shown on TV). We'll see what these are retailing for when they hit the shelves. $30-$35 would be the sweet spot in my opinion. Maybe DDD will have a 20% sale around the time this hits.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I deplore this decision. The unseen episodes are still part of Season 2. This asinine ploy of acting as though the mid-season hiatus is actually a different season, and now releasing 1/2 a season on DVD, is just frackin ridiculous. Stargate took a mid-season break for Season 8, but waited and a full Season 8 DVD release is due out soon. Why is BG being treated differently. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks