What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Science Fiction shows generally cost more than other shows.

That is a fact of life.

That is because they know you are the folks that are more likely to "demand" your favorite shows on DVD, and as such they can get more money out of you.

A bunch of my friends have told me that the new "Battlestar Galactica" is excellent and that I should consider picking up the set with the miniseries and first season all in one.

I have watched a few episodes. At first, I was jarred by how different the thing was, but as time has progressed, I have become impressed with how unique the thing is.

I might get it. I dunno. Since it includes the miniseries, I don't find the price (around $50) that bad.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I think these are the black and white views of the situation, and its really in the middle as usual. There are many sets that if lowered in price reasonably would sell many more copies to new buyers, some who would have downloaded them otherwise. And while it may be illegal, who cares. People do lots of illegal things everyday like smoke weed and drive over the speed limit (not together I hope). This isn't a court room so as free human beings we should look at it from a moral standpoint. With that in mind I'd like to ask this, How is downloading a tv show to enjoy at ones leisure any more morally wrong than recording it on VHS, or Tivo, or a Recordable DVD player? Personally I despise the bootleg film community on the net, but for TV shows it's just an extension of what people have been doing for years with VCRs.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Jim V, you expressed my point exactly. If the studios wanted to get more sales, they can keep the prices down low enough so that they don't lose money and to prevent the theft of downloading their material.

I agree that downloading causes this problem in the first place but if studios like Fox had originally priced those sets at $100 instead of $150 when they were originally released they would have sold more sets.

I'm not saying that they needed to drop the prices down so low to affect the studios, but in the instance of the BG set, a week of release suggested sales price of around $35 for those sets that are priced regularly between $50-75 would generate a lot more sales then the sales figures that Universal will get back from this first set.

Since most stores sold the set between $35-$42, that's a huge gap that some stores were selling the set during the first week of release. I don't think a general across the board of the same price would hurt the studios that much.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If I can return to the subject for a moment, I finished listening to all the podcasts for season one (which are on the DVDs), and my hope for season two is that they'll decide to record some commentaries by the cast and crew!

It was good to hear Moore's philosophy and his evolution of the storylines, but at a certain point enough was enough (Moore is on every one of the commentaries) and I wanted to hear some scene-specific anecdotes.

It was rather like how some films offer two commentaries - one by the director which may be overly serious, and then one by the cast which may be looser. This was like that, except without the second one.

What's the difference between a podcast and a regular commentary, you may ask? Barking dogs, coughing wife's, and ringing telephones and buzzing pagers in the background. Still good to hear, but you may feel like screaming "Will someone get that damn phone please?" at points.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
One thing about the show itself, if you've never seen the series: BE SURE TO SKIP OVER THE OPENING CREDITS!

The opening credits (which come after an introductory teaser) begin with some generic space scenes but then comes a montage of brief snippets from the upmcoming episode. You heard me right - they show glimpses of the show's next hour! This asinine technique is, according to Moore, an homage to Space: 1999, but that doesn't change the fact that it ruins the show if you fail to avert your eyes from it.

Today's audiences can deduce entire scenes and scenarios from even a two second glimpse of something. That wasn't a problem back in the days of Space: 1999, perhaps.

So, be warned: skip the opening credits or have the episode spoiled.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I like that Homage to 1999 I don't think it spoils all too much, it piques my interest

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The Space:1999 spoiler cuts were, like, 3 frames each. BG's last several seconds each. Moore doesn't seem to realize that.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Will B, i think the montage is kind of cool. It did remind me of Space:1999 the first time i saw it. It never spoiled an episode of the show for me. As a matter of fact it entices me to stick around and watch more than a commercial for an episode does. But, i also understand wanting to go cold into an episode.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Having never seen the entire series before when it aired on SciFi, I just got this set for my birthday and am starting from scratch with it. I remember the whole campy epic ripoff feel of the original, but this is just so freakin' wild! I'm looking forward to going through the entire set. So far I've seen the first 48 minutes of the miniseries, and that looks and sounds great! If the rest of this is as good as the miniseries, I'll have to get S2 when it comes out! :)

Britton

Screenwriter

You should be very pleased to know that it gets better.

As for the price, just be like me and wait for the next DDD 20% sale. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, I am almost six hours into the series (three if you exclude the miniseries) and I'm enjoying it. It just took a few minutes to put the original series behind me.

IMO, for someone just starting to watch the show, even the prevailing current online price of $42 is not bad. This is a closer call when you already own the miniseries, but considering that this is still cheaper than Best Buy's "exclusive" U.K. edition of the miniseries alone, I don't find the price concerns very much of an issue. No offense.

More to come...

- Steve

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Huh? When did BB have an "exclusive U.K. edition of the miniseries alone"? I thought they had the U.K. version of Season One which was actually cheaper than the version released this month.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As someone who didn't care for the miniseries when it first aired, I came to really like the show. (The Season 2 finale is simply outstanding.) So I eagerly got the Season 1 DVD set (and I think 40 bucks or so was perfectly reasonable for this set -- would I have liked to see it cheaper? Sure, who wouldn't? But given what DVDs go for these days, $40 was fine). Last night I rewatched the first two hours of the miniseries, and had a whole new appreciation for it. I like the way it sets the stage for the series, which is obviously a well-thought-out series, like Babylon 5 (another show I greatly admired).

I have the DVDs of the old show (which was twice as expensive and used those double-sided discs that I can't stand) and I enjoy it, but that show is simply nostalgia. The new show is great, and will stand the test of time.

Hats off to Ron Moore, who deserves all the success he is having with this show.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The UK Version of the new series (minus the miniseries) was first released in the U.S. in July. It was exclusive to Best Buy. It cost $50 back then. This is what I paid. Considering that I then had to buy the miniseries to understand the story, I probably paid too much. :)

- Steve

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

You've seen it? Wow, we're only up to the mid-season cliffhanger here. We won't see the rest of season 2 until January.

:p) ;)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Steve, I think I paid around $39 for the BB exclusive of Season One. I already had the mini so I bought the BB version because it was $10 cheaper than the one released this month. I know the newer one has more extras but the BB one already had the one extra I wanted most (deleted scenes).

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Nope.

Season 2 was supposed to start on SkyONE in Oct'05 and then when SciFi started up again in Jan'06 they would have been in sync. Latest word is that Season 2 in the UK will not START until Jan'06 (this is unconfirmed, but a friend I have in the UK says that SkyONE has not advertised the start of Season 2 as of yet, so October looks dicey...)

and Mark.. if you don't want to risk 'buying' something you don't like.. three phrases to remember...

Blockbuster
Hollywood Video
Netflix

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Well, I think that's very cool. We'll have the entire show on DVD by the time it resumes in January. Plus, watching Season 1 on DVD, I find that this show is as addictive as Lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks