What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

You've already said it isn't your argument. You loved the miniseries. But because other people didn't, you're going to pass.

Hey, if that works for you, don't let us waste your time. Kindly do the same for us in return.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think Mark is doing a good enough job of wasting his time by himself.

If you think you will like the show, and think the price is fair, buy it.

If you like you will like the show, but think the price is too high, rent it, or buy it then sell it when done.

If you don't want to rent, then don't buy, don't rent, and just watch something else.

If time is money you could have probably earned enough to buy the set in the time it's taken to author all these long-winded angst-ridden posts saying it costs too much.

Posting a comment that you think maybe the set is overpriced is one thing, but you're beating this horse way beyond dead.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why don't you ask Donald Rumsfeld to go and review the next Michael Moore film? Wow, is all I have to say though I guess it is all his opinion so to each their own.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Indeed, everyone is entitied to their opinion... I'm working on mine. This is a lot of material to review.

- Steve

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark T i asked once, and i will ask again. Why are you willing to believe these reviews that say the show is bad, but you wont listen to us. Until you have seen the show, you dont have a valid opinion anyway.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I personally don't care what Mark T thinks about the show....it's his thief "logic" that bothers me to no end. In his world, the studio is responsible for theft because they charge more than some dishonest people are willing to pay. That's ludicrous. [sarcasm]I'm not willing to pay $60,000 for a new Corvette, so I guess I'll go steal one. After all, they're asking for it with those prices.[/sarcasm]

Studios are the victims of piracy, not the cause.

Oh, and if sucks so bad, then why would you want to even bother stealing it, Mark T?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Jim, it's not that at all. I have heard many of you complaining about the way Universal Studios treats its consumers. From the way that they package DVD sets with the double sided format, manufacturer defects (A-Team, Buck Rogers, Knight Rider, Magnum PI) where the DVD's just get stuck on pause along with a variety of other problems along with the original street price on the original BG set and the Buck Rogers set.

"Why Can't Universal Do TV on DVD Right"
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...versal+Studios

"I Will Never Buy Another Set From Universal Again"

"Universal Is The Pits"

Members of these forums have clearly expressed their concern over some of Universals past releases so it's not that I'm the only one who has an issue over this. As far as online piracy goes? During the past five years I have purchased over 600 DVD's between boxed DVD sets and single release DVD's such as movies and anime. I don't knjow pirated DVD's.

Online piracy is much the fault of the studios for not using any sense when determining the pricing structure of their titles and attempting to price certain titles that they release because they consider them to be "premium" titles that they can do this with.

Take a look at Magnum PI versus Battlestar Galactica.

Why be able to walk into a Best Buy store and find these sets priced at $35 and then look at the BG set and find that priced at $45? Clearly its the problem with the studio who sets the street prices for these sets. Certain titles that are known to be the brand name for that studio clearly tell the studio that they can raise the price on that series because it is a premium series. Specially when the first season of the two I listed in this paragraph had the same episodes in their first season sets.

When the studios come out with this kind of mentality they can't really complain that people are downloading the episodes for free because they don't the sets reasonably priced for a consumer to purchase. Yes, it hurts the studio when someone downloads the series for free but it also hurts the studio when the studio overprices or overinflates the price forcing those consumers to download the episodes for that series. They do have some responsibility in this matter. Now, if the first season had happened to have 22 or 24 episodes I wouldn't have had a problem with the price.

As far as the set having 17 episodes. You can't count the mini series since many of us had already purchased the mini series DVD. Why would we want two copies of the same mini series. The series has only 13 episodes of material on the set.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

And you're an ass for thinking that anyone is forcing you to download material. The studio set the price, you don't want to pay for it, but that DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO DOWNLOAD IT. I need a new winter jacket, but the store wants $800 for the jacket I want. I don't want to pay that so I'll steal it. Doesn't quite work that way, does it?

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread. Mark has no opinion of his own, and relies on small snippets of online reviews to make up his mind. Yes, I commented on some grain and noise in the first season of "Battlestar Galactica." Yes, the set may sell for $45 while "Magnum PI" sells for $35; you forget the fact that there's exactly 8:52:45 of bonus material on the set (NOT including the mini-series, or the mini-series commentary) while Magnum PI has none. Universal took the time to put together a great set, but the message you're sending them is, "Thanks for taking the time to do a proper release, and put extras on the set, but I think it's too much so I'm going to steal the content."

Gord - Pissy mood today

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I had some Funcash to reduce the price of the set to $25 but even before that it was $35.44 on my DV2.com account, that's quite reasonable and similarily priced to The Shield and other 13 episode series. Hey at least not priced like HBO's sets. I thought the price was fine.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think my original intent for my opinions about the pricing structure for Universal DVD's were taken a bit out of context. My intent on my opinions regarding this wasn't meant to imply that I download the material it was to simply bring light to the issue that studios don't think about the pricing for a DVD set before the set is created or released for sale.

For Gord and Dave, my apologies if I sounded obtuse about this, that wasn't my intent. It seems, instead of reading through my comments everyone has taken upon the idea that I think the series is mediocre and that I was downloading the episodes. IN all of my time I have spent online, I've never downloaded any material that I haven't paid for.

My point is this: Universal, and they aren't the one one, have some screwed up policies when it comes to setting prices for boxed DVD sets. I've paid as much as $99 for a 26 episode DVD set (Star Trek: TNG and Voyager). All I'm saying is that some boxed sets are priced more than most fans can afford. Sure, the studios need to make money, but can't they do that without gouging that one fan who may be only able to afford one boxed set in a year?

If I had never saw sci fi before and I had bought the Mini Series and logged online to check out reviews and nearly all of the reviews were mixed down the middle my choice to buy that set would be tainted by what I read about it.

Just one question I would like to ask, how many times have you walked into a retail store and you weren't sure about buying a particular DVD set there may be two things on your mind that would impact whether you bought the set or not: Pricing, and how much content (Episode Content and Features) is included on the set.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Gord...you go man! :) Now onto other things...sure will suck to have to wait a year for season 2 on DVD. Or do you think they might split the season in 2 parts like si fi will?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Mark, if it is too much in your opinion for what you get, don't buy it. But don't steal it either. You are NOT entitled to entertainment at your desired price point, and the studio is NOT obligated to sell it to you at your desired price point. The studio is NOT responsible for people stealing their content, they are being completely up front with the product and price and they are not doing anything dishonest. How can you blame them for wanting to make an honest buck? That's what they're in business for.

And Universal, if you're reading this, thank you for turning out a fine product. Continue to do so, and you'll have my business.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Rick, I would prefer they don't split them up. I don't care for the Volume 1 and Volume 2 nonsense, having unnecessary packaging is annoying.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll support this set to support Universal not using DVD-18's for it. I also Salute Sony for Abondoning them for The Upcoming Green Acres Set

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Nobody said life was fair. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination...there's lots of nice things I can't afford, but I don't look on it as the manufacturer gouging me. Sure, I'll gripe about something being overpriced once in a while, who doesn't? But se la vi, you know? I don't get angry or vindictive about it.

The studios will charge what the market will bear. That's how capitalism works.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
My original complaint was that the set was priced between $45-50 at Best Buy, which made the exact retail price for the set priced around $60-70. Where I purchase my DVD's is through retail stores, and I'd rather support those than online sites anyway.

And you're right, they are not required to set the price at my benefit but they do have the responsibility not to gouge customers in the process as well. Do you know how many entertainment fans download material because certain DVD titles are overpriced by studios?

Take a look at X-Files when they came out. Priced at $150 per set because the studio could get it for such a premium series. Then they dropped down down to $130 then again to around $100, well after the sets had been released.

I don't condone getting something for free as I was using that as an example to emphasize my point.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Again, what's wrong with that? They charged what they thought they could get for it. Then after a while, they reduced the price to get more sales. That's just good business, Mark. That's all it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks