new baseball games for ps2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Tressler, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Whats the current / upcoming 2003 (or 2004 for high heat) baseball game season look like.. I have seen mlb 2004, a new high heat i believe and a new worls series 2k3.. any others?? have not seen ea sports with anything.

jim

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

EA Sports is supposed to revamp their baseball genre and move towards a more "simulated" baseball game. Their offering this year is entitled "MVP Baseball" and may just give HH2004 a run for it's money... but I doubt it.

I'll definitely be picking up HH2004 for the PC - due to the fanbase and thousands of downloads made available by those fans.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

It appears that this year we'll be inundated with Baseball titles. The ones I can think of are
    EA's MVP Baseball
    3D0's High Heat
    Acclaim's All Star Baseball
    Sega's World Series Baseball
    989's MLB Baseball

There may be one I'm forgetting. I bought All Star Baseball last season and was not disappointed. I think I'm gonna have to rent them all and see which I like the best. Although on the PS2 side it's been confirmed that ASB 2004 will have online play(it'll have Live support for the XBox too). that might influence some sales.

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

High Heat is easily my favorite from last year, and I will most likely check that out.

But I *will* buy whatever game has online support, and if that's only ASB2004, then so be it.

I would LOVE HH2004 online support, as I believe it plays best.

BTW, batting / pitching cursors are the root of all evil in baseball video games.

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I dunno, I think that without a cursor the games are too easy. All it comes down to in most cases is a matter of timing. In ASB 2003 I was getting realistic stats (hits, HR, etc) after a few games adjusting to the system. At any rate though, I'm very excited to see how these games fare.

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Dave: The lack of a cursor doesn't mean you can't locate pitches. It just means that you don't have a big annoying curson next to the batter.

HH2003's batting / pitching interface was the best I've played in a long time, and it had everything to do with pitching location and speed. You could throw a high pitch to get the popup or drop an outside curve over the corner.

I can't wait for online baseball.

7. Rob Varto

HH is supposedly adding a "financial" system to their game this year as well. Not sure if it'll make it into any other version other than the PC - but it just proves that 3DO listens to their customers and will continue to put out the best baseball games.... I am definitely intrigued by EA's game - they definitely have the resources to make a great game; but their track record sucks of late.

8. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Rob:

Agreed re EA and baseball games. Triple Play has been abysmal the past few years.

As far as I know, the Franchise mode will make it into the PS2 version. I personally don't care all that much about this option, as I'm more of a pick-up-and play baseball videogame guy. This comes, of course, after making sure my roster is up to date.

9. Rob Varto

Josh,
    I live for franchise mode... you see, my favorite team is the Detroit Tigers [​IMG]
    I can't help it that I root for them (and I don't dare control another team), but I know the only way to get them to win is to have a franchise mode the I control [​IMG]

10. Rob Varto

Great preview of EA's MVP Baseball:
    http://www.operationsports.com/revie...p2003interview
    It has some VERY promising features, but also lacks any farm teams and weather effets. Sounds like EA might be on the right track - but not quite there just yet. How can you not have a farm system yet have a franchise mode?????