What's new

New BARRY LYNDON ? (1 Viewer)

BobLAR

Auditioning
Word (or gossip) was that Barry Lyndon was left out of the last Stanley Kubrick Box Set because there was not enough time to complete the Supplementary disc. Warner Bros said that a re-mastered, anamorphic (16:9) special edition of Barry Lyndon was being worked on. Any updates?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I thought it incredible that they would do so much good-and then leave it a half-assed job-especailly since BL is a good candidate for 16:9 transfer.
I mean-we will soon see a finally! no BS! the real thing! COMPLETE SK box done right! after buying 3 sets + the individuals-squeezing blood from a stone

In France, you can buy the SK box, which HAS BL and Lolita in it-same as we can buy-but at least they were included and thorough.
The box also includes the shorter Euro version of THE SHINING which is kind of interesting to watch-I didnt realise WHAT that I had missed in the i think 20 min of cuts-but the movie didnt "Feel right" too dense-and compacted.

Time a factor...uhhhhhh well OK
Maybe releasing it a month later might have been a good idea.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Which version didn't feel right? The longer or the shorter one? I've never seen the shorter version so I'm curious. Overall, the American version is a really long movie, but it does help create some nice atmosphere and mood. I wonder how the shorter version fairs.

And, yes, I would love to see a new special edition of "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita" (as well as his MGM owned films). Jan Harlan had recorded interviews with many participants for his "A Life in Pictures" documentary that went unused. These included Marisa Berenson who played Lady Lyndon. Ryan O'Neal was also the only person they asked to participate who declined and I wonder if he'd do so today.

As for Lolita, there was a recent Channel 4 documentary called "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes" which had the presenter going through all the boxes of stuff Kubrick kept around his house. Among the things they found and showed was a clip from Sue Lyons' screen tests.

Also, quite amusingly there was a bunch of film cannisters lying around and no one at the Kubrick estate knew what it was. Turned out to be footage Vivienne Kubrick had shot on the set of "Full Metal Jacket". It would've been cool if they'd found this footage earlier and fashioned it into a documentary like the documentary on "The Shining" disc for the Deluxe Edition of "Full Metal Jacker" that was released last year.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This is one film that screams for proper HD treatment, given its candlelight photography. SD DVD just can't handle the subtleties without getting lost in the grain problems, while HD can retain the grain and make the picture look like it's supposed to.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Count me in! I just picked up a PS3 (yay!) and a handful of Blu-Ray discs, including the Kubrick films. I was watching bits and pieces of Barry Lyndon (on standard DVD of course) and I realized it might be tied with Dr. Strangelove for my favorite Kubrick film. I can't quite articulate why, especially since 3-hour costume dramas aren't exactly plentiful in my colleciton. If/when WB announces a Blu-Ray version, I'll be there. Hopefully, they'll use the aforementioned Marisa Berenson interviews, plus it's always nice to hear from Ken Adam (production designer).

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I once spent an utterly absorbing few hours in the company of Bernie Williams, a LA-based British producer who was Associate Producer on Barry Lyndon. It was also his job to supervise the selection of all the locations. His stories about this movie would fill an entire book but at the time he had second thoughts about making his comments public - Kubrick was still alive. Anyway, if there is to be a docu about Barry Lyndon, Williams is the man with the mostest and bestest yarns.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Lyndon is one of my very very favorite movies. The day it's released on BluRay is the day I take the HD plunge!

I'm glad to hear that Warner intends to a special edition at some point
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks