What's new

New bad habit, anyone else doing this? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I used to do it a lot more than I do now. When I first got a dvd player the chapter stops were so inviting. 'Don't fast forward, click on meee' :D

Before I had surround, I ran my dvd through my stereo. Suddenly I realized, "Hey! I can record my favorite bits of dialogue from all my movies!" I made a 90 minute mix tape and cranked it on long car rides.

Now I sit through the whole movie. If I don't have time, I'll pull out a tv box set and watch one episode of something. Or I'll watch as long as I can and pick it up tomorrow (all praise to the built in memory of the SONY dvd player!)

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in this. A couple of another things - some mentioned already:

I fall asleep to a movie almost every night. Set the sleep timer, turn on the subtitles, and relax. Drives my wifes nuts. My reasoning is I already know the ending, so it's okay to fall asleep.

While working over the weekends, I'll throw in a movie and just listen to the commentary while on the computer. Otherwise, I'll never listen to them.

Although I still buy my movies every Tuesday morning, I'm finding some still in the shrink wrap! I only have 200+ and I've never done this before either!

I've tried the shut off and start back in the same exact point. It took my four days to watch Heat.

StevenFC

Second Unit
None of those strike me as a bad habit at all. I could watch the action scenes from The Last Samurai until the cows come home.

Although if your buying DVDs just to look at the pretty shrinkwrap.....;)

TonyDale

Second Unit
I'll admit to it, too. :b
Lately, though, it's been Jennifer Saunder's key Fairy Godmother moments in SHREK 2 (The Fellowship of the Donkeys?)
Most notably, chapters 17 & 18 where the F.G. belts out a better version of "Holding Out for a Hero" than Bonnie Tyler!

Did I need to use the "spoiler?" ;)

Blu

Screenwriter
My bad habit is taking a unactivated (there is a place here in town that does not deactivate them) Security sticky thing and putting it into a friends clothing somewhere.

Yep you guessed it, when they go into Wal-Mart for instance it goes off....fun is had by nearly all....

Anyone have this bad habit???

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I NEVER skip a scene or fast forward. My bad habit is stretching a movie over multiple days. My new DVD player can remember where you stop on several discs so I just pop in what I was watching a pick up where I left off.

I just watched Lawrence of Arabia over 3-4 nights.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
As suggested already earlier in the thread, "scene-jumping" is a privilege of owning a collection of DVDs (and LDs).

I look up "good parts" from time to time without watching the whole thing, but it's not my way of watching movies, so to speak. If it's getting too late or I don't have time to watch it all for other reasons, I just stop and watch the rest some other time.

If I don't care enough about a certain movie to watch all of it (at correct speed...), as a general rule I won't buy it or keep it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Ha, I do that every single night Mike but than I usually wake up the next morning and use scene select to jump to the last section of dialogue or memorable scene that I recall from the night before and resume play from there. Unless of course I have classes or other obligations, in which case I continue the following night or find a couple of hours in the next day or so to continue. Sometimes I roll myself over and reach for the remote when I feel myself drifting off and hit the stop button so that I can just automatic resume whenever I want to continue.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
When I was younger I would always fast forward through the opening credits and sometimes through musical performances... Now, there is not a chance that you ever get me to miss something. If I shelled out the cash, you can bet money that I will watch every second of it. I even go as far to rewind a few seconds if say the phone rings or someone asks me a question about the scene.

Ryan

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm in two minds on this. Sometimes I play a "set piece" scene, just to "enjoy" the sound system (and of course SVS sub) at a nice loud blast, or to watch the scene again, but otherwise I tend to prefer to watch, where possible, a movie from start to finish, even though I too have limited time. Maybe that's why I find myself watching more TV shows, since each episode is 40-something minutes only, and even two eps are usually about 1.5 hours.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
See this is why I need to cancel my BB movie pass. I haven't had time or really the desire to sit and watch movies lately. I don't remember the last time I popped in one of the many movies I own. Lately it's been tv on dvd for background noise. There is just no time lately to enjoy a good movie unless I actually go out of the house to watch one.

The last movies we rented were Elf and Chronicles of Riddick, both which I fell asleep during last night.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
There are times where I fall asleep while watching a film after the first 20 to 30 minutes, but then the next day I'll start it all over again from the very beginning and watch it all the way through. Movies are made to be seen in one sitting and in their entirety, with none of that "scene selecting". Choosing selected moments or watching only 20 minutes and returning a disc to a shelf to gather dust makes me wonder why people even bother collecting films, to be honest.

Over the years I noticed I used to be guilty of the same bad habit, so I made a conscious effort to watch as many films IN FULL as I can each and every year, and I track myself to see if I can watch at least 300 between January 1 and December 31. At this moment, I'm up to 291. It may sound like this is a "chore," but it's one that pays off greatly and is a lot of fun once you get determined. After all, why do we own these films..?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The only things I do this with are musicals- I've been known to skip to the song "All Over The World" in Xanadu and play it over and over :b

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I only watch films from start to the last credit, I could never select a scene - it doesn't feel right. Demo and testing purposes are fine, but I just can't sit down and Fast Forward or watch favourite scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks