New Babylon 5 DVD Info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Williams, Feb 26, 2002.

1. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Those season 1 dvds may be here a lot sooner than expected. I received a Coiumbia House Video Club flyer in the mail today, hawking the new TV series available in their collection when I happened to read this in their 'Now Available on DVD' flyer:
    "(NEW) Babylon 5: The DVD Collection
    More than 250 years in the future lies Babylon... the critically important station that's the universe's best hope for promoting interstellar peace. Each DVD features 2 one-hour episodes."
    The flyer goes on to say that new discs arrive every 4-6 weeks. So provided that they start with the already available prequel/pilot disc, there could be episodes on DVD in 6 weeks.

2. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Wow! Good news. I just hope the Columbia House deal won't be the only option. I'm sure they won't be in widescreen and I want season box sets! C'mon Warner Bros!

-Ric

3. Brian_Anderson

Please no. Not two episodes per disk to be dribbled out slowly and cost way too much, when a boxed set would be so much nicer and probably sell more units in the end.

I would buy Farscape on DVD if i could get a seasonal box set of the episodes, but I won't with the current format. I think the same will be with Babylon 5.

4. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

Babylon 5 has been in that flier for a while, but the fine print stated that the series wasn't available on DVD. However, if it now says "The DVD Collection" in the paragraph header, something may actually be afoot. Any chance of posting a scan of that section? Don't go out of your way as most of us won't buy them at two eps per disk and at Columbia House's prices, but I am curious about how they are phrasing this in the flyer.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have the whole series and movies, in the correct chronological order on 11 8 hours VHS tapes, with the commercials cut out. So unless they come out in season box sets, I won't be buying it on DVD.

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Wha? So that's like $20 retail for two one-hour episodes? That can't be right. I can't afford that.
    Haven't they been paying attention? At least Paramount is doing TNG right. If they do release it as a season box set, I hope it's more timely than the SG-1 sets. 18mos in between seasons is just too long. [​IMG]

8. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

Sure, $20 is a bit much to pay for two one-hour episodes, but anyone (including me) will tell you that we paid around $30 for each laser disc. Though the bitch of it happened when they stopped after releasing half of the episodes, leaving out season 3 and part of 2 and 4. That really sucked. But I still sold em all for $650+ on ebay.

9. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I love Babylon 5 but it looks like the ONLY way I'll ever be able to afford the discs is IF we get seasonal Box Sets. The same goes for Farscape. I managed to grab the first disc in the set, but $16.00 to $18.00 is just too much green for what you get on the discs. It was hard enough to get all of the Star Trek Original Series discs, and I was finding most of them for around $13.00.
    Studios....PLEASE RELEASE YOUR TV PRODUCT IN SEASONAL BOX SETS!

10. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

Because a small group of people paid too much for the laserdisc versions, a larger group should pay too much for the DVDs?

$20 MSRP for a two-episode disc would mean about $1100 for all five seasons -- with none of the movies! One season? $220.

This is exactly why I didn't buy the Farscape DVDs. This is exactly why I'll be sticking with my Babylon 5 straight from television videotapes.

A 24 episode Buffy, The Vampire Slayer season boxed set will be selling for $70. Why does Warner Bros. think we can afford $150 more?

For those of you who purchased the LDs and were upset that they cancelled the episode releases, get ready for some deja vu. At this pricing structure with two episodes per disc, WB will see sales fall far short of expectations and pull the series on DVD. They won't realize it's the pricing, they'll think there's just no demand for the product.

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

Oh, $24.95 MSRP? Even better. About $275 per season, $1375 for all the episodes.

I'd rather take a three-week vacation in Europe with that money.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I highly doubt that they'd put 2 eps per disc. The In the Beginning / Gathering DVD has the equivalent of 4 episodes worth of material. It stands to reason that they'll put 2 eps on each side.

Until Warner Home Video makes an official announcement, don't buy any ads or anything like that.

From clicking around the internet, the buzz I'm getting is that they're looking at the first season box set at the end of the year.

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    My Babylon 5 "straight from television" videotapes look and sound like crap. 2-3 viewings of each episode over the last 3-4 years and the VHS tapes are already wearing out to the point of being unwatchable. I never put more than 4 episodes on a tape, and sometimes only 2. You'd think that recording in 8-hr mode would result in even worse quality on the tapes.

I'm not about to spend another 5 months re-recording all the episodes.

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, I don't think that's the way WB is going to put out the series. Far too many episodes to do it that way. It could be just a special "Columbia House" thing. Those deals were always a ripoff.

As for Farscape, the reason why ADV is doing it that way, as I understand it, is that there are too many hands in the cookie jar, which makes it a rather expensive TV show to put on DVD, since everyone wants their piece. That being said, there is some added value, at least to the early discs (commentaries, extended episodes), and can be picked up for about $15. That being said, I haven't bought any of them yet. I've just got too much stuff on my want list...

Jason

15. Brian_Anderson

Farscape was/is a great show, but i'm never really home to watch it. I'd have picked up a season set for it no problem if it exsisted, to catch up, to see the episodes that i missed, and see them in chronological order.

With a show like Babylon 5 or Farscape, with its grand story arc, it pays to watch them in order, and have them all in front of you. People love doing it, looking at X-Files and Buffy. I do have hope that they will get this one right, but there is always the possibility. But one would hope that they would have seen the difference in sales of the Star Trek and the Farscape as compared to boxed seasonal sets of series.

16. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I wouldn't get to concerned about what Columbia House is going to do. Just look at "All in The Family". It was being released by CH with 4 episodes per disc for $24.95 plus s&h. Then a couple of months later. Columbia-Tristar announced the entire first season in one box set for between $30-40 dollars. I can't see CH being to happy with this. Also, even when CH release Babylon 5 on vhs. Warner still released their own vhs copies.

I used to get almost 10 different vhs tv series from CH. But, with the advent of dvd, I stopped. Now, with the pricing we are getting for season box sets from both Fox and Paramount. I would never spend what CH charges for one tape/dvd of 2-4 episodes.

18. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Most sell DVDs individually if they're doing boxed sets. I think Next Generation will be one of the few exceptions.

There already is a Babylon5 single DVD anyways. At any rate I just can't afford to buy individual episodes that way. ST ToS was a major dissapointment. I purchased the first 2 and realized the amount of $$$$ I'd have to invest to get them all and gave up. TNG might go the same way, I'm really on edge. Almost $1000, for 7 seasons. When I think about it like that I begin to think there are better things I could do with my money.

At least the Space:1999 boxes are so cheap. $21/ea (6episodes) at DDD. That's more my speed.

19. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Agreed, paying over $1300 for a series is insane. I'll only buy B5 in season box sets. Bad enough how much I'll end up spending on the ST:TNG sets. Given WB's latest gaffes, I'm sure they'll mess up this too.

20. Michel Saucier

Michel Saucier Auditioning

Warner Bros. sure sucks when it comes to DVDs. They are so concerned that B5 episodes won't sell well on DVD, but they doom it without season sets. Are they just total idiots?

Michel