New Baby. Toshiba 55HX70, keep it or make sure I wear protection next time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Cook, May 20, 2002.

1. Alan Cook

Alan Cook Auditioning

I just bought this TV for $1500 and I still can return if neccesary? What are some experiences out there with this TV? I do want a 4:3 so thats not an issue. I Won't be able to open the box until I move. So if the 55HX70 is a poor TV I would like to return it and look for something else.

Is this a good TV? I will use it too watch around 1 or 2 DVD's a week, regular cable 3 to 4 hours a day, I will get HD feed from TimeWarner cable as well.

A little about my budget system..

Toshiba 55HX70 $1500

Klipsh quintet speakers $700

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

It's a good TV, great tweakability. It lacks a 16:9 vertical compression mode for 480P feeds (only compresses for 1080i feeds), which can be a problem if you only use a regular DVD player.

However, because you're going to use an HTPC, you can output a 540P signal instead of a 480P signal to your TV, and the TV will vertically compress that feed just like a 1080i signal.

3. Alan Cook

Alan Cook Auditioning

Obviously I am a newbie here. Is Vertical compression the compression of all of the lines of resolution in the 16:9 picture? as opposed to a 480i DVD feed which would up convert to 480 P but leave some of the lines of resolution out on the top and bottom for the screen??

Is this an automatic process or is their settings on the DVD or the TV?

Is there anything else I am missing?

As always muchly appreciated!!

4. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Masood-Is that the case with all Toshiba HDTVs or just that model?

BTW, I think he means 53H71 as there is no 55HX71 (And furthurmore HX71 would mean that it's a widescreen)

5. Alan Cook

Alan Cook Auditioning

Its a 55HX70 4:3 TV.(2000 model) Just thought I would clear that up. I heard bad things about the 540 upconvert so I went with the 2000 model (the savings didnt hurt either).

I know this is in the TV forum but any opinions about the Klipsch speakers and reciever would be great as well.

Thanks again.

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

If that's a budget system, then somebody must have paid my dad to take all our equiptment.[​IMG]

7. Alan Cook

Alan Cook Auditioning

I just thought I would put out an example of what kind of home theater setup you could get for under $3000. It amazes that only half of my budget was geared towards my TV. Before reading all of these posts I would have spent a bit more on my TV and then spent a minimum amount on audio ($200-300) and would have never thought of using an HTPC even though I have been fairly involved in computers most of my life.

This really is a great forum to learn stuff.

Thanks for the help an info guys and gals.. I am sure I will post more in about a month when I finally move. I know I will have questions about calibrating my 55HX70.

Thanks.

Alan Cooke

8. Masood Ali

9. Alan Cook

Alan Cook Auditioning

Maswood..

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have everything figured out for the msot part to get everything functional. I am currently experimenting with powerstrip. Its a good little program.

I havnt been successful on some of the resolutions but I have gotten all of the progressives timings to work.

Some of the interlace do not show up very well. Or not at all, Is this common for computer monitors?

A little more vertical compression..

A regular 16:9 DVD (or close to that aspect ratio) loses resolution to the black bars.

And lastly.. What output do yo use on your DVD player on your HTPC? I would imagine that you tell it it is going to a 16:9 TV instead of a 4:3?

Or do you make that adjustment on the TV?

Many thanks...

Alan Cooke

10. Masood Ali

11. Alan Cook

Alan Cook Auditioning

Maswood,

I have experimented with the ineterlaced settings on powerstrip and some fo them really dont show on my computer monitor. I will ask this question over in the HTPC area. You have given me lots of information I appreciate it.