What's new

New AVR8000 or used DC1 as pre/pro (1 Viewer)

GaryJ

Stunt Coordinator
I generally think a quality separate pre/pro is probably the quality way to go but since we are dealing with chip based technology it got me to thinking. Would I be better off with a new AVR8000 as a pre/pro or a used DC1 as a pre/pro? I like logic 7. They both seem to be able to be had for about the same price and I was looking for your guys input on which direction would be best. Here is my system:

B&K AV 6000 amp
M&K S100B on the 3 fronts
M&K S80B on the sides
M&K SX7B Rears

Thanks for your input.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'd personally go for a DC-2. I think the performance of the DC-1 would be a stretch to compare to more modern components. I've seen DC-2's with the latest rev 4 software for as low as $1400...

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Gary,

I would lean towards the AVR8000 myself--while I enjoyed the DC1's HT performance, it's sound with 2 chn music was really wanting (IMHO). I think you would find a modern quality pre/pro to have much better DACs, actual analog passthrough, and almost equal surround effects.

Any chance you can demo the DC1 against a modern receiver to be sure yourself?

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I went through a similar decision and went with the DC1. My rationale:

o the HK is pretty complex gear. Odds of failure are IMHO higher than the Lex. I think I made a wise choice here.
o I already have a dedicated 2 channel setup. The Lex is HT only.
o I could get the Lex hundreds cheaper than the HK.

Generally I am very pleased with my decision. I wanted Logic 7 in its full version and the tweakability is excellent. I will upgrade to a higher end Lex in the future.

M.

GaryJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Guys:

I see it just isn’t that straight forward.

Kevin: I’ll look around for a DC2 at that price, I just wonder if everyone is trading them in on the MC8.

Mike and Mark: I do listen to mostly movies but as my system continues to get better I found myself listening to more and more music. As a result the music side would be important to me. Unfortunately the only thing I could listen to around here would be and MC1 or an MC12 so I wouldn’t really be comparing to a DC1 which I could afford.

Thanks for your input, it looks like the AVR 8000 is in the lead right now.

GJ

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Gary- Be aware that there isn't *that* much difference between the DC-2 and the MC-1. Much bigger difference between the DC-1 and DC-2. I saw a DC-2 for $1400 on audiogon.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I think if you are looking for 2 channel performance for music (as is the case with me), you are far better off with a good 2 channel preamp than a DC2/MC1. For much less than an MC1 (and about the same as a DC2), I have a DC1 and a Sonic Frontiers Line 1... they make a good combination. If all you need is a passive, a DC1 and the creek passive may also work well.

m.

GaryJ

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin: I will definitely go and listen to the MC1. Then check prices.

Mark: Two channel is definitely secondary but I am starting to enjoy music better as my system recreates it better but I am still really a movie guy, I have far more DVD’s than CD’s. So my primary concern is HT, Logic 7, and then music. Quality HT processing is my first goal…… at a price I can afford.

Thanks,

GJ

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Kevin,

there isn't *that* much difference between the DC-2 and the MC-1. Much bigger difference between the DC-1 and DC-2
Though I don't have personal experience one way or another, I'd actually heard the opposite--that sound-wise the DC-1 & DC-2 were similar, with the MC-1 finally providing improvements. . .

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I use the AVR8000 in my system to demonstrate High end Speakers and the analog bypass shows superior sound to three seperate "audiophile" preamps (Citation, Bryston and Onkyo)I have tried to use.

As far as HT performance it is 85% of the MC1.

Look out for a little center channel "buzz" in the Jan2002 production run, which won't matter if you use an outboard amp.

John

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
A few months ago, when it looked like the Outlaw 950 might be longer than it was :), I looked around into the DC-2 and the MC-1. Based on a lot of other people's comments, as well the prices for used ones, the DC-2 looked to be a lot closer to the MC-1 than the DC-1. A lot of professional reviews also echoed this. (There was at least 1 review that compared the DC-2 vs the MC-1, but also had some comments in reference to the DC-1. That was a good review!) (In fact, last Sept/Oct, both the DC-2 and MC-1 were going for close to the same range of $1750 - $2250. The MC-1 looks to have stayed about the same, though now if you look around, you can find DC-2's for as low as $1400.) FWIW, the DC-2 has enough components in common with the MC-1, that they both can run the same software. The DC-1 can't.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
FYI... I believe the DC-1, DC-2, and MC-1 all run the same 4.0 sw. I am not sure if you are talking about porting considerations.

M.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Well I have owned all 4 pieces so I can contribute here. I currently have the avr8000 but have owned the dc-1, dc-2, mc-1. First thing is that the dc-1 imo isnt even close to the dc-2 in sound quality( wasnt impressed at all with dc-1). The dc-2 however to my ears is EXACTLY the same soundwise as the mc-1 minus a couple of connections(much better then the dc-1. Now I havent a/b-ed the 8000 at the same time as my lexicons but I believe that stereo music is much better (dacs, etc.) on the 8000 then even the mc-1,plus analog bypass is nice. The mc-1 in HT is better simply because you have more tweaks and adjustments in logic 7 mode then on the 8000 (vocal enhance, bass enhance, distance, panorama etc.)..you can zoom in on your "perfect" sound with the mc-1. Having said that I feel if both the mc-1 and the 8000 was set flat in logic 7 that you couldnt pick one from the other(there that close)...if you can get a good avr8000 you have a bargain on your hands..

GaryJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone.

I will try and get a listen to an MC1 and hear what the different versions of Logic 7 sound like. If I am fine with the flat logic 7 then it looks like the AVR 8000 is the way to go.

GJ

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
OK, I can't let the misunderstanding carry any longer. Buzz Goddard, former Lexicon marketing guy, has repeatedly said "The audio innards of the DC2 and MC1 are the same." That clearly means that they will sound the SAME!! There is no room for speculation or guessing.

The only sonic difference is that the MC1 has expansion port dacs where you can run a coaxial digital input and listen to cleaner, unprocessed, better 2 channel (2.0, not 2.1) than the normal 2 channel setting in the DC2 and MC1.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
OK, I can't let the misunderstanding carry any longer. Buzz Goddard, former Lexicon marketing guy, has repeatedly said "The audio innards of the DC2 and MC1 are the same." That clearly means that they will sound the SAME!! There is no room for speculation or guessing.
Hey Ricky,
Whats Buzz know, he only a lexicon engineer..;) You hit the nail on the head...Nice to see a knowledgeable poster come back and post on htf..:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ricky's back.

I had the chance to listen to John T's system last weekend and must say it sounded excellent. We listened to music - CD's, LP's as well as DVD's. I was very impressed with the performance of the AVR8000.

On DTS, DTS ES, THX EX the unit sounded great. In any of the DD/THX or DTS modes the unit performed as good as anything I've heard.

However the one thing I felt after leaving is that the Logic 7 wasn't the same. It just didn't seem the same as when I listen to logic 7 on the MC-1. On the Lexicons there's alot of options and adjustments that allow the user to tweak it to their room/preference and not having those on the AVR8000 prevents the HK logic 7 users from dialing it in and hearing the full potential of Logic 7 that Lexicon users experience.

All in all I think the HK AVR8000 is really nice unit. If I were in the market for a unit at the $1200.00 (street) price I'd seriously consider it.

GaryJ

Stunt Coordinator
HI Guys:

I went to check out the MC1 and they only had it set up in a TWO CHANNEL ROOM! They are finishing up their main theater room but they will be installing the MC12 in that room. Is it even worth me listing to the MC12? (besides the fact it will be cool to do.) I was beginning to agree that it would be fair to listen to an MC1 to gage the performance of the DC2 but I think that is a heck of a stretch to listen to the MC12 as an audition to purchase a DC2. If I could get one for $1,200-1,400.

At the end of the day I am probably going to end up with the AVR8000 anyway. It would just be nice to know what I would be missing.

Any advice?

GJ

Users who are viewing this thread