What's new

New Audioslave (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I've been listening to the new Audioslave on Myspace (they're hosting it this week). I got to say... well, there's a quote that I think fits the new album. I watched The Rock the other day and here's how I feel about the new album:

"I don't like soft ass shit"

Yeah, I don't like it. When they started playing Be Yourself on the radio, my wife said "Hey I really like that new Audioslave song." I told her it was OK, but a little soft, but whatever. I listened to the rest of the album, and damn if they don't all sound like that. Ugh. Any kick-ass has been washed out of Rage.

If you're looking for something a little harder, I recommend Limp Bizkit's new album The Unquestionable Truth. I know Limp Bizkit catches a lot of crap and that a lot of people hate them, but I got into them after seeing them live with Metallica (where they really rocked). Their new album sounds like they made it after listening to Rage Against the Machine for a full weekend. (I like Track 3 best I think, it's kind of disjointed.)

So there you go. If you like Be Yourself (more power to you,) then you'll love the new Audioslave. If you liked Rage or the "rawk" songs off of the first Audioslave, you probably won't like the new one. I'm passing.

Doug

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
On paper, Audioslave had the potential to be great...but turned out merely average. Although I haven't heard any of their new material, I was pretty disappointed by their first album. My main beef is w/ Cornell, who oftentimes I feel is screaming just for its own sake. The one major complaint I have about him is that he's just singing too much. It seems like every second of every song is filled with vocals, and he doesn't leave any space for things to breathe...

AricB

Second Unit
funny thing, i think cornell's solo album is tons better than any of the audioslave stuff i've heard, its not real rockin, but its better.

be yourself is pretty weak, i'll have to hear something good before i pick it up.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
There are some good rockers...Your Time Has Come, Out of Exile, Drown Me Slowly, Man or Animal, and The Worm.

Though the rest isn't as hard as the first album, I think it's better. They sound less like two different bands merged into one and more like their own group. Plus, I think the last two songs on the album (#1 Zero and The Curse) are the best songs they've done.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

I liked their first one, but the "two bands merged" was very apparent, I thought. I will still try the second one, but the *two* local Frys Electronics stores were sold out. I am bummed.

I like Limp Bizkit, but I didn't much like their last one. I heard that one original member is back in the fold, so I'll be keeping an eye on reviews of this one before I buy.

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Audioslaves firts CD was AMAZING, and though I haven't heard the new one i'll bet it's just as good.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
I really loved their first CD, too. If you expect a big progression, you'll be disappointed, but if you want more of the last, you'll like it. It's a better album.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Me and a friend listened to their first CD recently and remarked how there is just no "feeling" in it. It was hard, heavy, etc. but the feeling was missing. After a few tracks, we threw on "Appetite For Destruction" and realized just how much energy the merged supergroup didn't have.

AricB

Second Unit
I much prefer the result of Mad Season as a supergroup/side project thing, compared to Audioslave. Mad Season's Above is a great cd, I'm still not eniticed to buy the new audioslave disc?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I thought the first Audioslave album was ok. This one is more of the same, a little closer to the mainstream.

I'm a big Soundgarden fan, and to this day I find it hard to believe that this Chris Cornell is the same guy who sang on Badmotorfinger and Superunknown. He's making the kind of music he wants to make, but it's pretty ordinary.

Aric, I totally agree about Mad Season...Temple of the Dog wasn't too shabby either.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think Audioslave has yet to find its voice. I don't know what happened to the interesting lyrics that Cornell belted out with Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, and his early solo stuff (Seasons; Sunshower). The lyrics so far for Audioslave have been decent (at best) and pedestrian (at worst). Also, Tom Morello (and I was a RATM fan) seems to have lost a bit of creativity in his riffs, and the rhythm section of the band just doesn't have the creativity that Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd had.

I know their interviews read like a love-fest (with the RATM boys loving Cornell's voice and lyrics, and vice versa with regards to music) but I wonder if both parties aren't subconsciously deferring to the other's creativity and leaving kind of a vacuum of creativity there.

While many loved Soundgarden for their power, I loved their creativity both musically and lyrically. And it's that creativity and unique sound that is, apparently, never going to be matched by Audioslave. I have both Audioslave CDs and I listen to them occasionally. They do have their good tunes, but I pop in Soundgarden way more than those in my CD player.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
I like Soundgarden, but I don't have any of their albums, just the A-Sides disc. That said, I don't like it nearly as much as either of Audioslave's CDs.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am beginning to have this thought, that the best bands are sort of a bunch of people that grow up together, or struggle at first together, or who go through some tough times together. Has to be some "adversity" in there maybe. Creates that emotional bond where great music comes from. I don't know. Maybe you can get the gist of what I'm trying to get across. ;)

I think it is rare that "supergroups" actually work well, or even stay together that long.

I like Audioslave, but yeah, I'd take both Soundgarden and Rage over Audioslave.

And I like Velvet Revolver too, but I'd take both GnR and STP over VR too.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I didn't like Audioslave's first album, too much RATM and Soundgarden influence, I wanted to see them leave that stuff behind a little, it seems that they're doing that now, I haven't heard this new album, but I'll probably pick it up on iTunes or something.

Supergroups are hard to do. They've never really worked, dating back to Blind Faith.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
DING DING DING! We have a winner! :D

Most great art (not just music, but visual art, movies, books, etc.) are made under adversity. Whether there's something tumultous about the artist, his/her life, etc. it almost always is a catalyst for great work.

Cornell and Co. clearly already "have it made" and that creative spark that was present in their hungrier days is gone.

Same could be said of things like the Star Wars franchise; now that Lucas has all the money in the world, we get the Prequels. But when he couldn't do everything he wanted to do, had adversity with regards to the production and budget, and had to listen to creative input from a bunch of difference directions, we got Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back (and, to a lesser extent, Return of the Jedi). Quality of the Prequels aside, I don't know anyone who actually prefers the Prequels to the originals, regardless of age [i.e. "nostalgia factor" aside].

That's just one example, but there are many that follow this course (not to single out Lucas).

There are far fewer who actually get their riches and keep making as good (or better) music. The one shining example I think is The Beatles, whose best output (IMO) is post 1965, after they were already raking in the dough. Zeppelin would be close--I know a lot don't like their last 2 albums but my faves are right in the middle of their career (IV, Houses, Phys. Graf.) where they were already a large, established band.

Brock_D

Auditioning
It always seemed kinda obvious that Audioslave were gonna move into the softer more Christian-rock sort of style, which is dissappointing as hell. But like most things, I still much rather the originals, atleast I know with Rage and Soundgarden CDs, its pretty much always what I expect.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator

I agree about the Beatles and Zeppelin. Another band is Radiohead, whose first album was relative crap but everything since has been great. OK Computer was their best, but they've had three since that have been very very good. They've done a great job of dealing with the fame and money, kind of seeing through it, and continuing to push creative boundaries. Plus, they all grew up together so they're a pretty well-knit group.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

That's true in my opinion. Soundgarden is a good example of that with Cornell pushing the band toward the mainstream, and Kim Thayall pulling against him. They did their best work at the height of their creative tension before they finally imploded.

Even Zep had plenty of creative tension between Plant and Page, and John Paul Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks