NEW audio format with HDDVD??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianJ>Y, Feb 17, 2003.

1. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

I've gone through some HDDVD websites and can't really find anything about new audio formats, only better video quality. So does anybody have a good guess as to when a new significantly better audio format like Dobly Digital 2(not just more channels) will come out? I ask because I'd hate to upgrade my current 5.1 receiver to a new one if significant changes are going made in just 2 years... What are the chances that new formats will be released when HDDVD comes out around 2005(best guess)?

Dvd players can be had for around 50-100 bucks now and dolby digital receiver for less than 200, this tells me that new formats are overdue. Just like how cdrw's can be bought for 10 bucks after rebates and dvdrw's are gaining momentum.

-Brian

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I really dont forsee another format, becuase you're not talking changing just the format for home but for theaters, and with the financial crunch in the theater industry right now none of them want to spend millions of dollars once again upgrading to a new format when all formats out both theatrically and for home do they're job more than satisfactory. You're talking about something that changes the whole industry so its gonna be a great while longer than say going from CDRW to DVD+R or from laserdisc to DVD.

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Brian- In my opinion, improvements in audio will not change significantly at the consumer level. Products may appear that have different processing schemes and may be touted as better, but there is no good reason to delay in the purchase of audio equipment. Probably better to hope the recording engineers try to improve and get closer to the abilities we the end users already have.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hey im hoping dvd-A will be the sound of choice for HD-DVD

that would rule, or even multichannel sacd.

but unfortunately i dont see either happening, likely they would say it takes up too much room.

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

not to mention why would you want an analog audio playing through you're system vs a digital, yes I understand DVD-A/SACD is a digital format with a greater sound quality than DD or DTS but at the same time it has to be hooked up through analog connections which pretty much ruins that greater sound in some respects if anything DTS 96/24 would become more popular with an HDDVD format for enhanced audio. It would be the most easily adaptable.

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

analog is fine though and is preferred. There will be a digital interface for high rez formats though so we'll have a choice.

Just like we do on CD players.

7. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I think i'll go ahead and purchase a new receiver (sony 4es). I'm still kicking myself for not buying a receiver that was dts capable and had preouts. If I did that in the first place I'd be adding an external amp instead.

A bit off topic, but what do you all think would be a better setup for strictly HT, a sony 4es or a pioneer 812/912 with a $400-500 amp?? (street prices for all units)

-Brian

8. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

There already is a digital interface for Hi-res it's called i.Link this was approved back in May/June 2002. Currently, only the Pioneer 49TXi, an upgraded 49TX, the 47ai dvd player, and the Mits Promise module (it doesn't do hi-res though) support this connection but other will jump on board. Anyways, if they sere to upgrade the audio they'd probably use MLP which is whats used for DVD-A.

Daniel Smith

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I was under the impression that the pioneer connection was Proprietry (sp) which if i am correct means its a pioneer only connection

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

John,

iLink is an open standard, but the industry isn't killing themselves to jump into the waters.

Me, I think HDMI will eventually be the connection of choice.

Regards,

11. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

When people say iLink (in reference to audio), do they mean iLink as in 1394/firewire, do they mean some standard built on top of 1394/firewire, or something else?

Thanks,
    John Flegert

12. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Three Johns in a row that's weird. Yes they mean firewire it's exactly the same. i.Link is Sony's name for IEEE1394 but what's special about the audio connection is that the components use a special copy protection scheme approved by the music bigwigs, so this means you can't connect any firewire device to the 49TXi and they will talk to each other they both have to use the 5C/DTCP approved protocol.

Daniel Smith

13. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I you want to learn more about this i.Link thing a great thread is here, dr1394 provides alot of info about this.

Daniel Smith