What's new

New ATI Pre/Pro and Amp on HT Magazine (1 Viewer)

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
WOWWWW!!!!

Hefty price tag, but the amp and the pre/pro look awesome..Received 92 points on performance too..

Any thoughts?

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't had a chance to see the ATI yet. But does it look like a Outlaw 950 clone ? Seems there are many of them showing up lately.

-Jeramy

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the 2505 has been on the market for several years.

if you scroll down the pre/pro web page you see it list availability as "September 2001". i remember seeing it listed in some A/V mags upcoming gear sections before that, but i haven't seen anything new on it since then.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i saw a review or maybe just a short blurb on the pre-pro a year or so ago, so i assume it's been out a while.

i really wanted to like ati amps when i was first looking at entry-level high end and separates, but there's just something about them that i just can't live with. i like the look, and they're very powerful and dynamic, but they are just too harsh-sounding and bright for me on music. every sibilant sound or cymbal hit is just emphasized so much, is harsh and jagged sounding.

kinda why i figure i wouldn't like outlaw.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Actually, ATI does have a new pre/pro coming out. It's called the ATP 7500. No, it does not look like the three amigos form Sherborne, Atlantic or Outlaw. It lists for $2995.00. It reminds me of Nad equipment with strong ATI overtones. (what?)
This one seems like a scaled down version, but it's said to have more current surround formats.

Anyway, there is a picture and info on it in "Audio Video Interiors" March issue.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 7500 is a 950 clone. I wonder what chip set powers the 8500?

Personally, I don't like the screen, but hopefully you can turn it off when watching a movie.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
The ATI 8500 prepro, as well as their amps are all designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S. The Outlaw 950 (and its siblings) are made in Asia.

The 8500 is not a 950 clone, it has balanced outputs, an AES/EBU jack, a 5" LCD monitor, 3 component video inputs, 2 IR jacks, 3 remote triggers, an RS232 connection, a dedicated "daughter board" expansion area, and ATI is currently working on the unit's THX certification.

I haven't read anything about an ATI 7500 model.

Rich B.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Richard- Read my lips: :) It is the 7500 which is the 950 clone, not the 8500. The 7500 was listed in the new products section of S&V maybe 2 months ago. Triple crossover, Cirrus Extra Surround modes, and I even think it said it has BM on the 5.1 analog inputs...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hoo-ah: I found it! :)

Want to hear that back surround channel in DD EX and DTS-ES soundtracks? The processing power of ATI's ATP7500 preamp can help fill in the rear of your home theater, plus give you DPL II and DTS Neo:6 for rendering surround sound from stereo sources. An eight channel analog input lets you hook up a DVD-A or SACD player, and it provides analog bass management for the input. A pair of component video inputs can switch HDTV signals, and S-video signals can be downconverted to composite video. There are 2 optical and 4 coax digital inputs as well as six composite/S-video inputs. $2995.
So I misremembered the CES modes, but it has analog BM on the 8 channel (upgraded from 6 = 5+1 channel on the 950), and the number of inputs and outputs is exactly the same, and the display in the picture looks just like the 950. It is a slightly larger unit, judging from the picture.

I'd be willing to bet the 8500 is also licensed from, or built by someone else as well. I think it is Bel Canto, and also Fosgate, that have pre/pros coming that also have the LCD viewscreen on the front. Most of y'all know that ATI manufactures the 755 and 770 amps for Outlaw, right? (Not "rebadged" ATI amps, but Outlaw's design manufactured on ATI's production line.)

Looks like we won't have to guess any longer, the 7500 is included in the March AV Interiors (Components section):

http://www.audiovideointeriors.com/contents0303.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks